Ikelight Housing - Return of Replaced Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently sent off my Canon 5DIII Ikelite housing for rebuild of button levers and soforth. When I spoke to them they told me there was a small crack in the housing as well as water damage to the electronics. This was news to me. They quoted me a price to rebuild, replace all the electronics and the front of the housing. For all the work they described, the price seemed reasonable. However, and here is the "rub", since I never saw any crack or had any problems with the electronics, I requested that the old parts be returned. I was told it was against their company policy because people would use the parts. Well, if the parts legitimately need replacing what is their concern? I don't understand or agree that they have any authority to keep my property, but what choice did I really have? I specifically requested that the technician make a note that the parts be returned to me. I am interested to see if others have had this experience and to see if others feel this is; 1) within their authority (to keep my property) and 2) Ethical. Thanks.

I recently sent off my Canon 5DIII Ikelite housing for rebuild of button levers and soforth. When I spoke to them they told me there was a small crack in the housing as well as water damage to the electronics. This was news to me. They quoted me a price to rebuild, replace all the electronics and the front of the housing. For all the work they described, the price seemed reasonable. However, and here is the "rub", since I never saw any crack or had any problems with the electronics, I requested that the old parts be returned. I was told it was against their company policy because people would use the parts. Well, if the parts legitimately need replacing what is their concern? I don't understand or agree that they have any authority to keep my property, but what choice did I really have? I specifically requested that the technician make a note that the parts be returned to me. I am interested to see if others have had this experience and to see if others feel this is; 1) within their authority (to keep my property) and 2) Ethical. Thanks.

bluemonkey,

This has been an Ikelite company policy for 50 years. We do not return replaced items since they can be defective and potentially cause a catastrophic flood if reused. Since there is apparently a trust issue involved here, we can photograph the defective items before getting approval to replace them, and/or mark the defective housing and return it to you at your cost for verification.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom