Ikelite ball arms VS. ULCS arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just back from Bonaire using a strobe (DS-125) with my G9 for the first time. I was less than pleased with the struggle of using Ikelite's delux ball arm to position the strobe underwater. Often, they would also make a rusty door noise when moving from one position to another. After entering the water, I would adjust the tension at the joints to allow for movement without flopping around but finding that sweet spot of easy movement while maintaining position was impossible. So my question is, are the ULCS arms any better than the Ike ones and worth making the switch. Seems like the o-ring on them may easy underwater struggles of positioning your strobe(s). Or possibly did I miss doing something with the Ike arms like lubing the ball joints?

I used the ulcs strobe arms for the first time in January and I can tell you adjusting them underwater was a breeze, set it and forget it. So I'll second the above post.

I've only had squeak once with my ULCS gear. I had just purchased a video light mount, and it squeaked a bit during it's first dive. Otherwise they are quiet and very easy to adjust.

Besides, if you hate them, used arms and mounts from ULCS sell at almost new prices on e-bay, so you won't be out but a few bucks LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom