Ikelite DS125 matched with DS161

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

I was thinking of adding second strobe to my setup. Currently I have DS-125. I was going to purchase DS-160, but now I thinking more of DS-161.

What I read about DS-161 is that its just like DS-160 but with more powerfull light, 15w led vs 5w led,

I was wondering if anyone is using this kind of setup. Are there any problems with those lights working together.

I have Canon 20D with TTL sync cord.

I use a DS125 & DS160 together quite happily. They both have the same colour temperature. With them equally placed in TTL mode you can see a slight difference between the two sources but this may even be a bonus, creating a touch of modelling (but always from the same side unless you want to turn the camera upside down :) ). If I want the lighting completely flat in TTL I pull the 160 back a bit on the arm.

In manual strobe mode, the 125 just has single stops (F, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8) but the 160 (and presumably the 161) has 1/2 stops on the control knob so its easy to balance them either way.

The increased modelling light power on the 161 is intended as a movie light for those fortunate enough to own a high end SLR capable of shooting movie. Be aware that both the colour temperature and light level between the incandescent bulb of the 125 and the LED on the 160 is very different.

Thank you Tim.

That is what I was also thinking about, the diffrences between the two strobes.

It would be good to hear from someone who has tried this kind of setup.

Not the greatest composition but it illustrates how moving the strobes around can more than compensate. With both strobes on equal power and the 160 on the right, the effect is of the primary light coming from the left.

darksponge.jpg

Back
Top Bottom