Ikelite strobe and housing issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a head scratcher for you. I have two camera systems, one is a Panasonic Lumix LX100ii (point and shoot), the other is a Canon Eos Rebel SL1 (dSLR). Both are in Ikelite housings. I have two strobes, a DS160 and a DS161, both connected via synch cord.

No matter how I swap the strobes, synch cords or cameras (I actually have 2 of the Lumix cameras, so I can swap the actual camera), I can't get the strobe to synch on full or -0.5 strobe power. The strobe will fire, but not when the shutter is open. TTL works, everything from -1 to -4 works. I have verified that for all the cameras the shutter speed is below the synch speed. I've tried at a 1/2 second speed and still not synching, so the strobe must be firing on a pre-flash, but red-eye settings don't seem to have an effect.

I don't remember this being a problem before, but I'm failing to see how I could be having the exact same problem across different cameras, strobes and housings.

Any ideas?

Could be something with the camera settings, or the housing. I had 2 issues in the past with Panasonic and Ikelite. 1.) The connecting port in the top inside of the housing had pulled out a tiny bit, so I took a pair of pliers and pushed it back in.
2.) I couldn't get my strobe to sync without having exactly the right settings. I.e- had to have electronic shutter off, camera had to be off silent mode, etc. Look up the specific camera settings needed for your camera and make sure they all line up. Also worth cleaning the contacts on the sync cord and its connection.

Back
Top Bottom