I'm Beginning To Enjoy These Midweek Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The sea was glassy today off the Palos Verdes Peninsula, smoother than I've seen in years. Once again we had sub par conditions over the weekend and excellent conditions during the weekdays.

Kevin Lee called in sick to join Merry and me as well as Scott and Margaret Webb for a good time on Kevin's Reef. We had good visibility and the life continues to return here. Kevin found two Peltodoris mullineris on the edge of the gully and Merry found two more on the south side of the reef. While following Kevin to his discovery he pointed down at a moray eel tucked in its den.

Hermissenda opalescens were large and their cerata were in full plumage. Tinier nudibranchs peppered the reef. It wasn't difficult to find subjects on this reef today.

Kevins%20Reef%2011_zpsj4whom60.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2010_zpsb5jkouqx.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2016_zpsllln7t0y.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2015_zpsblo5tmtx.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%208_zpszxwswrey.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%205_zpskyiqjzz8.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%202_zps13czewk3.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%201_zpsif0r9gwk.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%209_zpsmci2rhe3.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2014_zpsyihoz18g.jpg

We made a second dive at Little Reef. It sits on the border of the Pt. Vicente Marine Protected Area. We didn't need GPS to find it as a line of lobster traps dotted the border all the way out to Hawthorne Reef.

This reef is made up of scattered boulders and is not for the squeamish. The place is crawling with worms and slugs.

Little%20Reef%2017_zpsomvtjscy.jpg

Little%20Reef%2015_zpsmxmoerw0.jpg

Little%20Reef%2018_zps3getgwo4.jpg

Little%20Reef%2016_zpst84apshl.jpg

Little%20Reef%208_zpsav3gfxwh.jpg

Little%20Reef%202_zpsqkjiayyq.jpg

Little%20Reef%203_zpscvesva9g.jpg

Little%20Reef%207_zpsoavjfolm.jpg

Little%20Reef%2010_zpslgtqcbdg.jpg

Little%20Reef%2014_zpsrbkxotyr.jpg

Hi Maxbt
Great shots! I dive in similar conditions and am wondering what you and Kevin use for magnification? Do you use the 105 lens and a diopter? +5?+10?
Thanks Chris

Merry and I used a 105 with a Nikon 5T diopter on the lens. I've used a + 5 and +10 with miserable results. Nikon no longer makes the 5T but you can still get them on Ebay. Kevin almost always shoots with a 60mm with a 1.4 teleconverter and a +10 diopter.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Do you use auto focus or manual? I didn't think about the possibilities of using a dry close up lens. I too have struggled with the thin DOF with wet diopters. I can envisage your system but Kevin's I'm struggling with. Is Kevin using a wet or dry diopter? Screw on or flip down?

We each have a +5 and +10 Subsee diopters but I stopped using mine. We have some nearly microscopic nudis that live in the kelp fronds during certain periods of the year. When they return I may put my diopter back on.
ssa_ikemodflat.jpg

I use auto focus most of the time but if it's dark or my subject is very tiny I use back button focus and slowly rock the camera back and forth until it's in focus. It can be frustrating when you see the subject in perfect focus but the shutter just won't fire.

first of all shuddup lol im jealous. second some beautiful photos nice job

Great shots Max, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Max! Look forward to seeing more images in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom