I'm half Irish, half German, and half French. Oh yeah, I got some English in me too.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not american, but i am moving to america next year, and i know i will always consider myself an australian with irish descent. yes i will probably have to take an oath of some sort over there and if thats what i have to do to be with my guy ill do it. i will have respect for the country of course, i wouldnt move there if i didnt, but i will always be an australian, ill just be living in another country :)

In 5th grade, my son had a school project in which all the children had to write a report about their ancestry and decorate an old fashioned clothes pin like an ancestor. Well, he dressed his ancestor up in clothes that might have been similar to what an American wore during the American Revolution. His teacher said that he could not do that, that his ancestry was not American. I called his teacher and politely informed her that my Mother's family have been American's since the 1600s (with ancestors later fighting England during the Revolution), my Father's family have been Cajun's (settled in Louisiana after being asked to leave first France and then Canada) since the early 1700s. My son's Father's side of the family has Americian Indian in it as well. I said that I thought that qualified him to be of Americian ancestry. She agreed. Geeze, I count it as a blessing that I can say, "I'm Americian".
If someone wants more than that, I ask, "Which generation and which side (Mother's or Father's)?"

I had a curious conversation when living with an Irish/English flatmate (raised half and half in both countries). He was ranting and raving about people who came back to Ireland and claimed to be 'Irish' on the basis of ancestory. His argument was that you were 100% whatever land you were born in. 'I mean, look at you, for example...' he gestured. 'You were born in Australia, so you're Australian!' I smiled and reminded him sweetly that I was actually born in England, of Australian parents, because my father had a diplomatic post in Vienna. I didn't set foot in Oz until I was nearly three years old. 'Well....' he blustered 'you were raised primarily in Australia!'

Wrong again. I've lived all over the globe, and by the time I was ten had spent more than half my life overseas. New York, Singapore, Vienna, London, Sydney. Both sides of the family are primarily Irish in origin, though, and physically and culturally there's a strong sense of identification there. I like the idea of the 'tossed salad' (or, as I'm ping-ponging around the globe on one of my two passports, I'll tell folks I'm a citizen of the world). If someone has a go at the British, Irish or Aussies, I'll defend them and will usually bring in my background and flexible nationality, but then I'll also defend New Yorkers or other Americans if someone takes a gratuitous or what I feel is otherwise unjustified swipe at them.

I love elements of all these nations and all these cultures, and don't feel that my affection for any of them means I need to exclude 'belonging' to the others. The flip side is, of course, that by not belonging wholeheartedly to any one nation, there's a slight element of alienation...of never quite totally belonging. Or perhaps that's just Aussie, Brit or Irish cynicism showings its colours.

I can understand, however, why people claiming nationality on the basis of a tenuous ancestoral link can irritate the locals. When folks from the otherside of the world, with a highly superficial knowledge of your local history and culture, lob up on your doorstep and expect to be accepted as countrymen and women it can be a bit presumptuous.

I... am a proud citizen of the Country of Israel.

Patriotism is a very different thing in Israel. it means a lot of different things for us. A lot of different people. Most of the older generation (70's, 60's...) are immigrants. Poland, Argentina, Yemen, Russia.... they come from everywhere. But when they come here, they are israelis. For a lot of people, being Israeli means that they are free from wherever opressions they left behind, so naturally they are proud to be a part of Israel. Any person coming out of immigration camp will proudly tell you, "I am an Israeli." patriotism is not something that we have not faught for- so a lot of Israelis are very loving to their country.

I think Americans really like foreigners- again, look at this as an outsider's view in... bear with me and post if you think I am wrong!!!!. Americans like foreigners a lot because they don't live in a place like Europe where it is uncommon to see people of different nationalities all the time. Americans are really accepting in that way where to me they will be like, "OHHH!!! YOU'RE FROM ISRAEL!!! I LOOOVE YOUR ACCENT!! so tell me about life there!!!!" there are of course some exeptions- as all countries have- this is not only america. America will always be a nation of immigrants, and as things happen in the world, different migrations of people will occur. You see a big influx of mexicans crossing the border into America to start anew. people are coming from Asia to start anew... and americans are usually very accepting of that too... but you know what happens with the few- they resent the migration and act as such.

So I think americans like to state where their immigrants came from because it breaks them down into smaller groups where they can be proud. if an american came up to another american and said, "I am an american!" the otehr american would say something along the lines of, "Yeah.... so..." but it makes things a lot different when you include another factor in there..... it sets you apart from the group.

If you ask a person from Israel where they're parents came from, they will tell you "yeah they came from ______, why?" I think its because we are in that spot right now where its cool to be ISRAELI... native born and all. its not cool to be the outsider beacuse we always have people coming in. in places like the Midwestern US where it is not very frequent that immigrants move there, it is much more of an event to "show a foreigner what america is really all about."

questions/ rants/ comments? all are welcome.

I am a Southern American by heritage. I eat grits and have nice fatty comfort foods for breakfast on many weekend days, although not as much since my wife was raised by a chef who ate very differently than a typical southerner. I have roots from Germany, The Netherlands, and the UK. I don't even know for sure which part of the UK, but the names are Keeler, Newby, and Westbrook.

I think many Americans remember their heritage because of the names they carry. If you are a Gonzalez, chances are you are Hispanic. I carry the name Kuck, so I am viewed as a German descendant.

Also, many people in the US use their racial ancestry to claim special treatment based not on social standing but solely on genetics, so racial identity continues to play an important role in an American's life. Basically, group dynamics control politics, so banding together in a group and excluding others gets you preferential treatment over those who simply wish to be thought of as American, not ?????-American.

I must be getting older because I will admit to listening to National Public Radio in my car on the way to work. Anyway, SmokingMirror, there has been a series of segments there on immigration and assimilation based on a recent survey that you might find interesting. You can probably track it down on www.npr.org.

As for me, well, I am an American. I don't have a personal sense of inner-Irishness, but my home does have mirrors in it and I know what I see. If I should decide to do a "roots" tour, though, maybe I'll drop in on Scuba Freak. My last name won't shock him, either, LOL. Have drysuit, will travel!

Ann Marie:
Americian ancestry. She agreed. Geeze, I count it as a blessing that I can say, "I'm Americian".
If someone wants more than that, I ask, "Which generation and which side (Mother's or Father's)?"

Good for you. My Dad raised me as an American. I asked him once when I was a kid what nationality we were. He said," Just tell them that you are American." If someone wants more I tell them "I'm a Henizer---57 Varieties"

I was born and raised in Canada and am very proud of that. It's a great country. My heritage is Irish/English mix with a tad bit of North American Indian (It rests at the end of my pinky finger). I am proud of being Canadian, Irish and English.

While we are on the subject. Who came up with the term "African American"?
If someone called me an "Euro American" I think I would be a little offended. So I would think that Americans who happen to be Black would be offended as well.

I have never heard any American who are Black refer to themselves as African Americans. The only time you hear this term is when a politician or newscaster is talking.

It would be interesting to hear from ordinary Americans about how they feel about being called "African American."

SmokingMirror:
For many Europeans, a sense of national identity - not to be confused with national pride - is very clear. I have never met, seen, or even heard of any European claiming to be, for example, half-Irish and half-German. Even those with parents who are directly and identifiably belonging to a nation other than their own will rarely - if ever - consider themselves a nationality other than the one on whose soil they were born. Is the reason for this identity maturity; the knowledge that claiming to be part of another nation reaps no tangible benefits?

Just randomly found this message board through Google. I haven't really read much of this thread, but I just wanted to reply to this bit in the first post.
I *am* a half German, and half Irish, and have always considered myself as such. My mother is Irish, my father German, and I have dual nationality...i.e., I have both passports. I was born in Germany, and lived there all my life, but still do identify with my Irish side very much, because I have spent nearly all my summer and Christmas holidays with my Irish family in Dublin.
And, having gone to an international school, I know several people like me: half French - half Italian, half German - half French, half Dutch - half German, half Finnish - half English.....etc. etc. etc.
I am now studying in England, and I have met plenty more people with dual nationalities here too.

Sarah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom