Imitation GoPro Cameras from China. Any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But for 249.99, that seems rather high for a "clone," doesn't it?

Well, here an older go-pro is in the $200 range new, and the latest go-pros are around $600. That's a lot for an "action movie camera" (as the clones like to call themselves). :)

When my Muvi UW housing decided to start leaking a few dives ago and took the Muvi with it, I looked for an alternative. No way I was going to pay go-pro prices for what I consider a somewhat disposable camera.

I ended up buying an "odrvm" for $85CDN with free shipping. It's basically the same form factor as a go-pro and even has the same attachment stuff. Came with a 30m UW housing that does work well and a bunch of other accessories in a nice zippered case. Most importantly, it DOES work well for what I wanted (underwater action camera ... action shots), and the price was certainly right.

I use a G16 for the more serious video.

I just picked up a GoPro Hero 4 Silver for 199.99. The Hero 5 is 399.99. But if the odvrm has the same chip and features, whose to complain? :)

Chris, you're reporting USD prices. Multiply by 1.4 or so for what we "get" to pay in $CDN.

Yeah, the exchange rate is terrible right now.

The odrvm doesn't have the front screen (who uses that underwater? not me I suspect). It does have a decent back screen built in and came with two underwater backs. So far to 60ft on a scooter it has not leaked.

I'll probably take it out again this weekend on some sunken dry docks that should be fun to zip past. If I get any good video I'll post it to youtube with a link here.

Where in the world did you find a hero 4 for $200?!
BJ''s. they are starting to sell them online tomorrow for that as well

Back
Top Bottom