immersed regulator without dust cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the course of many dives, most regulators take on a bit of water. When I service the used regulators I buy, it is quite common to find verdigris (green corrosion) on filters, the inside of the 1st stage, and the visible HP area of the SPG. The SPG bourdon tube is copper and is reasonably resistant to damage from water. Any water that enters through the HP circuit will be contained by this tube and will not effect the rest of the SPG. If you ever see water through the face of the SPG, it has entered the unpressurized section of the through a defect in the case. such visible water is a good indication of the impending retirement of that gauge. So, while it is best to avoid such soakings, it is unlikely that it will cause any serious harm.

THANKS for all the good info on this thread and all the info on Saspotato's great thread!

My husband has been confident since the beginning. He says stuff like "its not brain surgery, or it just plumbing, it just hoses and fittings, and it cant be that complicated... we arent taking about a Masarati Engine"

I have no doubt that he will take them apart, if for no other reason than to satisfy his curosity. Also Its kinda like paying for someone to work on your vehicle, it helps to have a good understanding of the car even if you have it serviced by someone else.

We don't have a tank, so he will just take them apart now (I understand that the damage is usually done to the gauges when it is reconnected) So when get a tank we will follow all the good advise.

I agree that the major problem is with the SPG and not the 1st stage. Test the pressure with a known pressure and insure that it zeros correctly after the pressure is released.

If the regs are due for service, problem solved. Otherwise I'd just blow them out as previously described and be happy to dive with them (as long the flooding was with clean fresh water). Flooded first stages occur from time-to-time in a commercial diving setting. High pressure (dry) air cleans them off quickly and your good to go (assuming the reg passes the pre-dive inspection). When in-doubt, pay to have it looked at. :)

I guess I have been lucky 'cause I've never had a pressure gauge problem like a few of you are talking about.

A couple of my student sets have ancient Italian SPG's (over 25 years old) which have been on first stages that have been through this quite a few times, and they are still more accurate than most.

It seems hard to make a conclusive blame for the very rare SPG failure that happens years after blowing out a first stage.

...umm,.....I believe the inside of the reg 1st-stage is usually made of soft brass, much weaker and much more prone to corrosion than the shiny, chromed coating on the outside of the 1st stage.

No that is absolutely false. The chrome plating on brass regulators covers all surfaces. In fact it would be more difficult, and costly, to manufacture it any other way. Open one up and take a look inside sometime.

:dork2::dork2:oops...I immersed, soaked and rinsed, and re-immersed and re-rinsed my regulator and my husband's regulator this afternoon and I forgot to put on the dust cap.

I knew better....I just had a brain fart.

What damage have I done?

Assuming its fresh water chances are no damage at all. Just unscrew the SPG, put he reg on a tank, turn the air on slowly and blow out the water.

Salt water left in there for a time will damage things but fresh generally wont so just blow it clean.

UPDATE: SUCCESS
My husband took the pressure gauges off the hoses and took the hose off the regulator. He then put the yoke on the tank and slightly opened the valve. allowing the air to come through the high pressure port. He did this for about 15 seconds , until their was only dry air coming through. He then closed the valve, put the HP hose back into the regulator (w/out the SPG on the end...hose only) and performed the procedure again, blowing any possible water or moisture out of the hose until he got dry air only. He then closed the valve, put the SPG back on the hose. Did a check on the 2nd stage primary and 2nd Stage alternate.

The aqualung micro had no water
The Edge Epic had very litte.

He has dove with the Edge Epic several times wth no problems. We have yet to dive with the Aqualung, but plan to try next week.
THANKS EVERYBODY

THANKS for all the good info on this thread and all the info on Saspotato's great thread!

My husband has been confident since the beginning. He says stuff like "its not brain surgery, or it just plumbing, it just hoses and fittings, and it cant be that complicated... we arent taking about a Masarati Engine"

I have no doubt that he will take them apart, if for no other reason than to satisfy his curosity. Also Its kinda like paying for someone to work on your vehicle, it helps to have a good understanding of the car even if you have it serviced by someone else.

We don't have a tank, so he will just take them apart now (I understand that the damage is usually done to the gauges when it is reconnected) So when get a tank we will follow all the good advise.

Good job! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom