Immunizations and Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cylonboomer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys
I'm diving around March 13, 2010 in roatan. Do i need any specific immunizations?

Thanks

Boomer:dork2:

CDC info @ wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/Honduras.aspx]Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health[/url]

As to the malaria issue, the variety found on Roatan is not the more dire sort typically found in other parts of the worl (e.g., Africa). Symptoms are somewhat on a par with having a good case of the flu. All of the relevant medications are available WITHOUT a prescription at local pharmacia there (with any needed instructions for use) and much less expensive.

Same general suggestions for living in the US - even tho many here are not up to date on some: Hep A & B, Tetanus-diphtheria plus Typhoid and Malaria preventions.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/Honduras.aspx

As to the malaria issue, the variety found on Roatan is not the more dire sort typically found in other parts of the worl (e.g., Africa). Symptoms are somewhat on a par with having a good case of the flu. All of the relevant medications are available WITHOUT a prescription at local pharmacia there (with any needed instructions for use) and much less expensive.
I have never done the Typhoid, altho it is probly a good idea, one shot good for 5 years. I always do the Malaria, but I start the Chloroquine two weeks before arriving.

I was June-July 2009 in Roatan and had no immunizazion.
No problems so far!

Chris

Same general suggestions for living in the US - even tho many here are not up to date on some: Hep A & B, Tetanus-diphtheria plus Typhoid and Malaria preventions.

I have never done the Typhoid, altho it is probly a good idea, one shot good for 5 years. I always do the Malaria, but I start the Chloroquine two weeks before arriving.
A shot :shocked2:

FYI: You can get the typhoid immunization in capsule form as well, four pills, one every other day. "Primary vaccination with live-attenuated Ty21a vaccine consists of one enteric-coated capsule taken on alternate days for a total of four capsules. The capsules must be kept refrigerated (not frozen), and all four doses must be taken to achieve maximum efficacy (6). Each capsule should be taken with cool liquid no warmer than 37 C (98.6 F), approximately 1 hour before a meal. Although adverse reactions to Ty21a are uncommon among children 1-5 years of age (28,29), data are unavailable regarding efficacy for this age group. This vaccine has not been studied among children less than 1 year of age. The vaccine manufacturer recommends that Ty21a not be administered to children less than 6 years of age."

The oral form is just as effective, has less side effects ("Ty21a produces fewer adverse reactions than either ViCPS or the parenteral inactivated vaccine.") and obviously hurts a lot less than an IM injection! If it's fear of the needle that's kept you from being properly immunized, you big Dandy, fear no more :D

(Totally agree with you on the chloroquine, and I substitute Malarone when heading to malaria spots in the Pacific - better safe than sorry and the side-effects of both treatments are relatively minor or non-existent compared to potentially hallucinogenic remedies like Lariam)

CDC info @ wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/Honduras.aspx]Health Information for Honduras | CDC Travelers' Health[/url]

According to the CDC's "Malarial Map Application" Honduran malaria is comprised of: P. vivax 50-95%, P. falcuparum 5-50%

So CDC estimates of falciparum (the deadly kind) range from 5% to 50% country-wide, unless you have a better source of info about Roatan specifically. Not sure I'd make the claim that "the variety found on Roatan is not the more dire sort" even if the true number there is closer to 5%.

I always look at the CDC recommendations and then noodle on the choices. Immunizations have risk just as disease does. I did not take any of the recommended vaccines when i went to China. We were traveling most of the time in developed areas and staying in 5 star hotels, so the risk of exposure was minimal. I also travel with an arsenal of medications. Everyone has to search these questions out for themselves.

I'm not "anti" vaccine, just thoughtful. I had to take both flu vaccines this year. I never take flu vaccines, but had some circumstances this year which made it the only intelligent choice.

From what I read from the CDC site, unless you are backpacking in remote areas of the country, I'd skip them.

A shot :shocked2:

FYI: You can get the typhoid immunization in capsule form as well, four pills, one every other day. "Primary vaccination with live-attenuated Ty21a vaccine consists of one enteric-coated capsule taken on alternate days for a total of four capsules. The capsules must be kept refrigerated (not frozen), and all four doses must be taken to achieve maximum efficacy (6). Each capsule should be taken with cool liquid no warmer than 37 C (98.6 F), approximately 1 hour before a meal. Although adverse reactions to Ty21a are uncommon among children 1-5 years of age (28,29), data are unavailable regarding efficacy for this age group. This vaccine has not been studied among children less than 1 year of age. The vaccine manufacturer recommends that Ty21a not be administered to children less than 6 years of age."

The oral form is just as effective, has less side effects ("Ty21a produces fewer adverse reactions than either ViCPS or the parenteral inactivated vaccine.") and obviously hurts a lot less than an IM injection! If it's fear of the needle that's kept you from being properly immunized, you big Dandy, fear no more :D

(Totally agree with you on the chloroquine, and I substitute Malarone when heading to malaria spots in the Pacific - better safe than sorry and the side-effects of both treatments are relatively minor or non-existent compared to potentially hallucinogenic remedies like Lariam)
I did call and they have both the shot or pills. I'd just as soon get a shot and get it done, a few pushups before putting my shirt back on to prevent soreness - as long as that's the one that is good for 5 years. I failed to ask? :confused:

Getting to Lubbock during business hours has been my challenge. Looks like I can the day before I leave for Roatan, but will that give time to be effective?
According to the CDC's "Malarial Map Application" Honduran malaria is comprised of: P. vivax 50-95%, P. falcuparum 5-50%

So CDC estimates of falciparum (the deadly kind) range from 5% to 50% country-wide, unless you have a better source of info about Roatan specifically. Not sure I'd make the claim that "the variety found on Roatan is not the more dire sort" even if the true number there is closer to 5%.
As mobile as mosquitoes are, I don't care how small the risk is. The prevention is so much better.
I always look at the CDC recommendations and then noodle on the choices. Immunizations have risk just as disease does. I did not take any of the recommended vaccines when i went to China. We were traveling most of the time in developed areas and staying in 5 star hotels, so the risk of exposure was minimal. I also travel with an arsenal of medications. Everyone has to search these questions out for themselves.

I'm not "anti" vaccine, just thoughtful. I had to take both flu vaccines this year. I never take flu vaccines, but had some circumstances this year which made it the only intelligent choice.

From what I read from the CDC site, unless you are backpacking in remote areas of the country, I'd skip them.
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: indeed!

According to the CDC, the side effects of a severe falciparum infection include:
  • Cerebral malaria, with abnormal behavior, impairment of consciousness, seizures, coma, or other neurologic abnormalities
  • Severe anemia due to hemolysis (destruction of the red blood cells)
  • Hemoglobinuria (hemoglobin in the urine) due to hemolysis
  • Pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs) or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which may occur even after the parasite counts have decreased in response to treatment
  • Abnormalities in blood coagulation and thrombocytopenia (decrease in blood platelets)
  • Cardiovascular collapse and shock
Other manifestations that should raise concern are:
  • Acute kidney failure
  • Hyperparasitemia, where more than 5% of the red blood cells are infected by malaria parasites
  • Metabolic acidosis (excessive acidity in the blood and tissue fluids), often in association with hypoglycemia
  • Hypoglycemia (low blood glucose). Hypoglycaemia may also occur in pregnant women with uncomplicated malaria, or after treatment with quinine.
Disease | CDC Malaria

If the estimates are correct that falciparum skeeters are up to 50% of the total number of malaria-causing Anopheles species in malaria locales of Honduras like the Bay Islands, then there's a decent risk of contracting falciparum malaria. That's bad for we Americans, since the CDC goes on to say: "Severe malaria occurs most often in persons who have no immunity to malaria or whose immunity has decreased. These include all residents of areas with low or no malaria transmission, and young children and pregnant women in areas with high transmission."

Since most Americans have no natural immunity, manifestations of severe falciparum infection that include unpleasantries like coma and acute kidney failure are a definite potential "side effect" of failing to take malaria prophylaxis.

Now balance the risk of coma or acute kidney failure or cardiovascular collapse and shock with the negatives that the CDC points out regarding chloroquine:

May exacerbate psoriasis
Some people would not prefer a weekly medication
For trips of short duration, some people would rather not take medication for 4 weeks after travel
Not a good choice for last minute travelers because drug needs to be started 1-2 weeks prior to travel

You're basically choosing the risk of acute kidney failure and coma, not to mention death, against the risk of exacerbation of psoriasis and the nuisance of having to remember to take a weekly medication for 4 weeks after you return. Hey, it's your body and your choice, but I'm definitely with Dandy Don on the eye-rolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom