In Thailand Feb 14-29 2008... Where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevenL, sorry to say it so loud, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

King Cruiser is the most busy dive site of all South East Asia. When you go there you can expect to have a divers queue at the boe. It's unsafe, not cool at all, and has nothing to do with pleasure or fun.

Also Koh Racha Yai is the worst dive joke I've ever seen. Last time I went there were 50 BOATs is this small bungalow bay. Underwater I could only see plastic bottles, divers, broken coral, and the sound made by enormous diving boats was just horrible.

And what about the still quite places of Phuket island? Nice places the touristic industry is turning again and again into concrete fortress? :argument:

And what to say about Similan? Does an incredible place like this desserve to look like a floating town of robotic divers in the evening?

Wind is turning, and travellers do not all want to finish in a sharky touristic place that's promoting short term development and total nature destruction.

:argument:

Plonske, sorry to say it so blunt, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Most of the Phuket daytrip sites are the same sites as from Phi Phi and Krabi. And the daytrips that are only accessible from Phuket, Racha Yai and Racha Noi, offer some very nice and relaxed divesites, where you will quite often be the only boat, especially Racha Noi.

The best diving though you will find at Similans islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. I would recommend: first start with some relaxing dives, either at Racha Yai or local sites at kata Beach. After that make a liveaboard trip to the Similans etc., preferably a 4 days/4 nights trip.

tgui, you seem to be on a personal vendetta. I don't know you, have nothing against you (well, that may change soon though if you continue this way), and only pointed out that you need a workpermit to work in Thailand, even if it is charity. You may not like that 'news', but that is the way it is. Up to you what you do with that information.

Personally I don't like Racha Yai, and prefer the local reefs of Kata Beach, IMO nicer diving and relaxed as well.

Plonske is only writing nonsense, at every post, and it looks like you are losing perspective as well, all because of the message that what you are doing is not allowed?

I don't see any point in discussing this any further with you.

The local reefs that Stevenl refers to have a lot more to offer Koh Racha Yai in the high season. These sites are off Kata and Karon beaches and there are some very nice sites only 10 minutes off the beach by longtail boat. The beauty of these sites is that there are virtually no other divers. In fact many DC's on Phuket have never dived off Koh Pu, Karon Rock or Kata Noi Coral Gardens or South Point. Granted the viz is not as good as at Koh Racha Yai but there are plenty of the smaller marine creatures to be seen.

Otherwise no matter what work you do in Thailand - voluntary or not - you need to have a work permit and you should be TAT registered. You have to prove to TAT that you have the correct Insurance to cover your customers in case of an accident.

Last time I went there were 50 BOATs is this small bungalow bay.

yeah right - was that the same time that a pink whale shark went past as well.........

Anyway..........

King cruiser with people queuing - ha ha maybe you should try some of the wrecks in the Red Sea if you think KC gets busy with 800 boats out of sharm they do get busy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom