In-water temperature gradient. What's the biggest delta you've experienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see: In NC during the summer at the quarry over 98 f at the surface and at about 26 feet 47 f. OTOH in Fla diving the caves, surface was in the 30's and the water temp was 72 f.

Years ago, before I even bothered to look at temperatures, some friends and I tried a quarry dive (in NC, I think). It was nice and warm until I hit that thermocline, at which point I said to myself "no way!" and thumbed the dive. On the surface, my friends said when we hit the thermocline my face turned white as a sheet.

How do you don a drysuit for those summer cave dives without drenching yourself with sweat? I have a drysuit class coming up, and that is something I am very curious about. I have heard "just do it quickly and get in." So far, I have only tried on the drysuit and undergarment at home, but even with my living room at 68 F I am sweating profusely before the suit is even fully zipped.

How do you don a drysuit for those summer dives without drenching yourself with sweat?

Ice water on head helps a little.

Last edited:
I don the suit and then take a quick splash before kitting up. The wet drysuit cools down quickly especially with a slight breeze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom