Inappropriate Behavior from Cayman Turtle Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Recently, while surfing Facebook I came across the Save Cayman's Reef page. This is the page advocating diver restriction on some of Caymans more popular reef sites. In one of the posts was an image from the facebook page of Cayman Turtle divers. In the image, a divemaster in a bear suit sits on the reef with the caption "sometimes you just have to go diving in a ted suit. Keeping things really professional over at turtle divers! — at Cayman Turtle Divers!" I don't usually do this but I thought the public should know what these D-Bags are up to. If they can be this disrespectful to the reef in from of the camera, I shutter to think what goes on away from the lens.

These guys have no respect for the very thing that pays their bills and should be at the very least fined for this type of behavior!

---------- Post added December 26th, 2015 at 05:19 PM ----------

https://www.facebook.com/CaymanTurt...6876395344223/917345088297346/?type=3&theater

Well, I won't ever be diving with (or recommending) them!

Both links have disappeared, but the problem cannot be disposed of quite that easily. Here is a description of the offending photo.

It showed a diver who, from the comments, appeared to work for Cayman Turtle Divers. He was wearing a bear costume and sitting underwater with his back to a miniwall covered with live coral. His right leg was resting on a soft coral. He was holding a large piece of coral which looked like it had been alive until shortly before the photo. I thought I recognized the location as a place at the base of the Turtle Reef / Macabuca mini-wall not far from the usual entrance. Obviously, all this contact with the coral was deliberate, for the sake of 'getting the shot'.

I hope divers here will consider all this when recommending or choosing a dive op. Of course, if Cayman Turtle Divers would care to come on here and defend themselves, they are welcome ...

I believe this is the offensive photo being described, I hope that it isn't really a divemaster. If it was inappropriate for me to post it here then a moderator should remove it, but I thought others should see the photo that has upset so many people. Not only is it juvenile and poor taste, but the subject and photographer are deliberately damaging the reef merely for the sake of a crude joke.

CaymanTurtleDivers.jpg

Last edited:
According to the DoE, live coral coverage in the Cayman Islands in the 1970's was 80% , their recent study shows live coral coverage today is only 10-12%! These people should be ambassadors for the underwater environment. What example do they teach their student divers with these deplorable actions?

If you look at their FB page, you can clearly see that it's an employee.

disgusting

Just to clarify, Cayman Turtle Divers are NOT the on-site dive shop at Turtle Reef. Sundivers are located at Turtle Reef and Cayman Turtle Divers is a totally different operation in a different location.

According to the DoE, live coral coverage in the Cayman Islands in the 1970's was 80% , their recent study shows live coral coverage today is only 10-12%! These people should be ambassadors for the underwater environment. What example do they teach their student divers with these deplorable actions? If you look at their FB page, you can clearly see that it's an employee.

You're right, they seem rather pleased with "Ted" and feature him in a few posts on their FB page, like this one.

CaymanTurtleDivers2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom