Incident at Dutch Springs 21 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My condolences to the family and friends of this way too young person. I have spent many hours at Dutch and I hate to hear about this. Man.

We have almost zero info here on this incident but to me it sounds like some panic took place at depth and maybe a bolting for the surface.

to me it sounds like some panic took place at depth and maybe a bolting for the surface.

If he was refusing an octo offered to him, you can almost guarantee that panic had a hold if him. That is the general consensus of the group that was with me that day.

We have almost zero info here on this incident but to me it sounds like some panic took place at depth and maybe a bolting for the surface.
I may be missing something here, but where did you get that idea? It sounds like he was OOA and ascended sharing...
Information told to me by someone who was there:

21 yr old diving with his father OOA at the airplane. Surfaced on dad's octo. Could not stay at surface and sank under. No pulse, no breathing.
If he was refusing an octo offered to him, you can almost guarantee that panic had a hold if him. That is the general consensus of the group that was with me that day.
I don't think that has been presented here before. Are you saying that he was?

God Bless the family. I was on the peninsula Saturday. As usual details are sketchy. I heard there was severe barotrauma, rapid ascent etc.
Eventually more information will come about over time as to what really happened.
Condolences to the family.

I may be missing something here, but where did you get that idea? It sounds like he was OOA and ascended sharing...

I don't think that has been presented here before. Are you saying that he was?

I don't know for sure. Nobody in this thread does. That said, and I HATE to speculate, but only since you asked Don here is only my reasoning and RESPECTFULLY IN NO WAY FACT of course...

It is likely the incident STARTED at depth. Other posts in this thread say "they heard" he was not sharing an octo (in fact all the posts in this thread are "they heard" posts at this point) and did possibly ditch the weights. I put the other post below my comments. It was also reported that the weights were found on the bottom in this thread. Somebody ditched them. Maybe during rescue. Most of the time when someone bolts to the surface, panic has taken control. The real question at the heart of prevention here is likely what exactly caused that panic or bolting to take place? Lost mask, lost buddy, anxiety from a number of things like too much weight for one, or new gear or task loading, medical issue (not likely), gear issue (not usually likely), OOA (possible but rare). It was also reported that the diver came to the surface then went back under. It was likely the rapid ascent that left the diver unresponsive upon surfacing or shortly thereafter IF and assuming the diver wasn't sharing the octo with the buddy.

IMHO ditching the amount of weight that was REPORTEDLY found at the bottom was possibly a cause and not a prevention IF the weights were ditched at depth unless they were ditched during rescue. We don't know yet.

IMHO if you are OOA at depth or having any issue at depth then find your buddy, don't ditch and bolt. :no: Only panicked divers ditch and bolt usually. MOST issues can and should be dealt with at depth. Otherwise why dive with a buddy. Ditching weight is an important skill but it should also be pointed out that ditching 20 plus pounds of weight can be deadly.

Of course, we don't know what happened at this point so forgive me if i am making it sound like I know for sure. I hate these threads. I try not to get involved with them out of respect, but if something can be learned and a life can be saved in the future then these threads are justified I hope.

Thanks. We were there and kept hearing conflicting information on site. Just wanted to see if anyone had verified information.
We were told he was 16, was at the base of the island by the plane at 60 ft but ascended via the plane but did not take his dads octo and was basically a cesa. All hearsay and not verified.

He went back under after surfacing and his father went back under to get him. We saw that much.
We saw most of the rescue but dont have details if what happened under the water.
Wondering how it turned out after the ambulance left. They left with sirens blazing so I hope that is a good sign.
Any other info?

Scott

Last edited:
Ok, looking over all the posts again, I guess there are conflicting reports - emphasis mine...
Information told to me by someone who was there:

21 yr old diving with his father OOA at the airplane. Surfaced on dad's octo. Could not stay at surface and sank under. No pulse, no breathing.

Thanks. We were there and kept hearing conflicting information on site. Just wanted to see if anyone had verified information.
We were told he was 16, was at the base of the island by the plane at 60 ft but ascended via the plane but did not take his dads octo and was basically a cesa. All hearsay and not verified.

He went back under after surfacing and his father went back under to get him. We saw that much.
We saw most of the rescue but dont have details if what happened under the water.
Wondering how it turned out after the ambulance left. They left with sirens blazing so I hope that is a good sign.
Any other info?

Scott
If he'd dropped the weights before or at surface, he wouldn't have sank again would he? I suspect they may have been dropped on rescue.

So we just don't know much for sure huh?

We will never know what really happened. But we can learn from this.

If the accident analysis discussion makes someone think about ditching weights or air sharing, even though neither one may be the root cause, and gets them to be a safer/better diver, then the speculations and assumptions, be they true or not, are worth it.

I would rather have no accidents to discuss than to have to speculate on what only 2 people will ever truly know, the diver and their buddy.

My initial post was more on getting info on the outcome, but we now have a news source reporting the facts. So now we can discuss how to be safer divers.

Scott

Spoke to one of the first responders in the water today. After a few coments on what a great loss for the family we both commented on the issues today with quality training. Gas management, Balanced rig, and task loading come to mind.

My heart goes out to the family who must deal with such a loss. God bless them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom