Incident in FL Middlegrounds yesterday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latest is that the guy involved, Marti, got his walking papers from the hospital today. Had a seizure once 10 years ago and the docs think it was just happened again. He was SO lucky to have a guy watching his bubbles and reacting correctly...so very lucky.

Link doesn't work.
What happened?
Rick

The guy, Marti, was found by a mate on the Jolly Rogers II charter, in seizure and blue at the bottom on Sunday. The mate, Dan, had just watched Marti spear a fish, then lost his bubble trail as Dan was ascending. Dan went back down to investigate and found Marti, brought him up (by inflating Marti's BC and trying to get the reg into Marti's mouth and providing some air). They got Marti onto the JRII and revived him!!! Marti expelled a ton of sea water, came to, and was placed on O2 immediately while the USCG chopper arrived soon after to take him to Shands in Gainesville.

Four days later, Thursday, he's been released from the hospital. Apparently had a seizure 10 years ago and the docs think it just happened again. No O2 tox or DCS issues present. Not good luck that the seizure happened while diving, but VERY good luck Dan was close by.

I know a fellow - who forgot to take his Dilatin for a few days, as well as failing to tell anyone he had a history or seizures and was on the drug, then had one on a boat dock after a few shore dives. He stopped diving for a few weeks.

He just keeps lying - to operators, to boat-pick buddies, whomever. I talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he'd quit totally, but hasn't. All I know to do refuse to dive with him.

DandyDon:
I know a fellow - who forgot to take his Dilatin for a few days, as well as failing to tell anyone he had a history or seizures and was on the drug, then had one on a boat dock after a few shore dives. He stopped diving for a few weeks.

He just keeps lying - to operators, to boat-pick buddies, whomever. I talked to him a few weeks ago, and he said he'd quit totally, but hasn't. All I know to do refuse to dive with him.
It's a shame with your fellow there.
If he wants to kill himself, it's his good right but does he have to take some innocent soul with him?
Any way of taking away his c-cards? would it help at all?

TropicalDiver:
The guy, Marti, was found by a mate on the Jolly Rogers II charter, in seizure and blue at the bottom on Sunday. The mate, Dan, had just watched Marti spear a fish, then lost his bubble trail as Dan was ascending. Dan went back down to investigate and found Marti, brought him up (by inflating Marti's BC and trying to get the reg into Marti's mouth and providing some air). They got Marti onto the JRII and revived him!!! Marti expelled a ton of sea water, came to, and was placed on O2 immediately while the USCG chopper arrived soon after to take him to Shands in Gainesville.

Four days later, Thursday, he's been released from the hospital. Apparently had a seizure 10 years ago and the docs think it just happened again. No O2 tox or DCS issues present. Not to good luck that the seizure happened while diving, but VERY good luck Dan was close by.
I hope I'll have someone so watchfull as this Dan around me, should something happen to me.

aquaoren:
It's a shame with your fellow there.
If he wants to kill himself, it's his good right but does he have to take some innocent soul with him?
Any way of taking away his c-cards? would it help at all?

I'm going to open this for discussion on the Basic Scuba forum, using your comments to get it started...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=630104#post630104

Back
Top Bottom