Independent Doubles vs. Isolated Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes..... Did I say anything other?

Yes you did, reread your post ,you said.

"All neoprene suits will compress at depth, to varying degrees. If they don't they're not providing much insulation."

Rubatex G231N will not compress nearly as much as imported neoprenes and retains more warmth at depth as a result.

Yes, I am interested also in what you are diving at 150-300 feet in Belize. We probably all misunderstood what you are doing and what you are using and the reasons for doing so. Good luck. N

One of the better ways to use “independent doubles” is to configure the tanks side-mount. This will give you a lower, more streamlined profile, and it does not require a isolator manifold. Therefore, side-mount configurations come in very handy while traveling, since doubles are usually not available. Getting to “difficult” dive sites (i.e. long walks through the jungle) is also a plus, since it is easier to carry several singles instead of a set of doubles.

Yes you did, reread your post ,you said.

"All neoprene suits will compress at depth, to varying degrees. If they don't they're not providing much insulation."

Yes, but that doesn't say what you're asserting. I meant that unless a suit compresses with depth it was never providing much insulation even before it compressed. Once it's compressed it's obviously providing minimal insulation, as it's the air that insulates, not the material.

Clearly my wording could have been better, but I would have thought you could give me the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Therefore, side-mount configurations come in very handy while traveling, since doubles are usually not available.

Ive got a set of £20 twinning CAM straps which means i can get any 2 tanks abroad and twin them up as backmount independent.

Although most cave divers here use sidemounts i dont think ive ever seen one in open water.

Ditto the travel bands - they work great for traveling, hence the name.

Side mount offers some excellent advantages in a cave environment in terms of squeezing through smaller restrictions and by default offers the same travel freindly advantages of a set of travel bands, but I don't see my self getting real excited to try it in open water.

On a rolling and pitching deck off shore in 4-5 ft seas, I like the tendency for the back gas tanks to be solidly mounted and not prone to swinging, banging and clanging around. All that extra movement could precede a serious crash to the deck. Also, in a cave it is common to stage your gas and leave stage and deco bottles to use on the way back out. In open water that is a great way to get yourself killed as it is no where near 100% certain you will be able to make it back to the ascent line. Prudence dictates that if you will need, it, you take it with you. In that regard side mounting just ends up taking up valuable real estate that could be used for stage bottles or deco bottles while the real estate on your back just goes to waste.

So in the end it may still retain degree of utility and certainly a high cool factor for a cave diver, but sidemounting does not have as broad an application as manifolded doubles, or even independent doubles in an offshore environment.

Ive got a set of £20 twinning CAM straps which means i can get any 2 tanks abroad and twin them up as backmount independent.

Although most cave divers here use sidemounts i dont think ive ever seen one in open water.
Ever seen tanks with either H or Y valves doubled up in this manner?

Not sure i understand? You mean independents each with a H or Y valve so 4 x first stages ?!

Ive done it with Y valve tanks once abroad - simply used 1 first stage per tank and kept the other valve on each tank closed. Yes its messy but it worked.
Ive only been to one place that HAD H/Y valve tanks anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom