Indonesia or Philippines liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ellie w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I am looking to do a liveboard in either Indonesia or Philippines in December/January/February (I haven't decided where on when to go to yet) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations!

I've done a Similans Liveaboard (with Sea Dragon - 100% recommended by the way!) and loved it, but the diving wasn't as good as I had hoped. I looking to join a liveaboard in eiher Indonesia or Philippines, don't mind about the length but as I am a fairly young solo female, and would like to have a healthy combo of topside fun and awesome diving, so it would be good to join the type of trip that attracted similar folks.
Budget isn't a huge issued but as I would hope for perhaps a younger idependent traveller crowd then I'd be looking at the lower end. Happy to have bunks - would probably prefer it, luxuries are not a requirement!

I've been thinking of Raja Anjut or Sulawesi for starters, I don't know much about Philippines so any recommendations people had (also for good areas to stay onland for diving!) would be more than welcome!

Thanks all for looking and thanks in advance for any comments!
Ellie

PS: I'm really grateful for any comments, but am not at my computer often so may be a little poor at replying - please don't be offended though!

Raja Ampat. It looks like it'll receive a lot more divers in the very near future- I'd try to get in before it becomes crowded.

Philippines has the Tubattaha Reef available some times during the year.

Hey Supergaijin,

Thanks for your advice; although I'd LOVE to go to Raja Ampat, I fear it may be a little to high end for me, plus when I said budget wasn't a huge issue, I clearly hadn't seen the price lists! Therefore, I've decided to go for Philippines for an explore; not sure I'll be there for the Tubattaha season unfortunately but we shall see.

Thanks again for taking to time to respond - happy diving :)
Ellie

Check out DiveCal's APO reef safari. I did this in April. I think they have year-round schedules, although I'm not sure what the experience would be like during the rainy season (unlike Tubattaha which is very seasonal). No frills boat, but at a very reasonable price. We did 11 dives over 3 days. Divecal - Coron - Reviews of Divecal - TripAdvisor

at that time of the year you can go to Raja Ampat in Indonesia as this is the best time to go there and its off season in Komodo. In the Philippines there are some options with Apo Reef or Coron or Southern Leyte. I have to say i like both locations. Its may be easier to go to the Philippines and do a trip there. Southern Leyte is great for macro life but you also have a chance to see whalesharks in Limasawa. It is a bit to early to go to Tubbataha.
Apo Reef is more for pelagics and in combination with Coron you can also visit the wrecks.
As for Raja Ampat, just look here at scubaboard and you will find tons of information.

Back
Top Bottom