Indonesia questions about tipping/gratuities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you will get a poor exchange rate at the airport but it will still be better than the rate when buying IDR from a US bank in America. For this first exchange, only convert $20-$50, enough to pay for the taxi to your hotel and maybe a few incidentals at a mini mart after your long journey. Alternatively, if you arrive during the day, ask your driver to stop at an authorized money exchange on the drive to the hotel. The difference between a "good" and "bad" local exchange is only a dollar or two (or less) on a $100 conversion... it's only really a factor when changing $500 or $1000.
It is never a factor if you have deep pocket!!! There is NO such think as over tip if someone is willing to pay!!
There are enough customers to keep the business viable. Do you think banks and money exchangers are willing to forfeit profit and all their staffs receive no salary(or reduced) at all?

You are just plain jealous!!! LOL.

The difference between a "good" and "bad" local exchange is only a dollar or two (or less) on a $100 conversion...

That chump change difference is worth paying for the convenience and time saving.

If I deposit $100 into my BCA account today, I would get Rp.1,555,500.

Very late to this thread but wanted to share my experience after having done 7 LOBs in Indonesia. If you happen to befriend a few CDs and ask them what the suggested amounts are, they will suggest somewhere between 5-10% if you were happy and wanted to tip. If you were not, then you should have said something so that they were made aware and could help change/fix things.

I am aware of how much the average Indonesian makes monthly. Generally, the ratio of crew to guests on a liveaboard is at least 1:1 or slightly more. I do not tip because the sole reason is to make up for low wages but I do want to point out to anyone mentioning how much the average Indonesian makes.....Crew work on boats far away from their families and friends and for months at a time because the earning potential is much higher on the boat you're on than another job on land. I also do not agree with bringing American tipping culture and having a firm amount everywhere I go, and I say this as an American. It drives me crazy when an American will flat out respond 15-20% with no regard to the local tipping culture, or having ever asked anyone what the suggested amount or situation is.

I do not tip because the sole reason is to make up for low wages but I do want to point out to anyone mentioning how much the average Indonesian makes.....Crew work on boats far away from their families and friends and for months at a time because the earning potential is much higher on the boat you're on than another job on land.

I also do not agree with bringing American tipping culture and having a firm amount everywhere I go, and I say this as an American. It drives me crazy when an American will flat out respond 15-20% with no regard to the local tipping culture, or having ever asked anyone what the suggested amount or situation is.
While I wholeheartedly agree about applying American tipping culture and norms in other cultures, I have no problem tipping the amounts I've stated above for good service. This tipping encourages locals to enter the dive industry and demonstrates to seashore communities the economic value of a healthy and sustainable reef/ocean environment. What I give for tips on a dive trip makes a real difference in the lives of the workers and I'm happy doing it. (I also almost always dive with locally owned shops, so my tips aren't subsidizing the low wages or swelling the bank account of some foreign operator.)

It seems our world is getting smaller all the time with our technological advances and overlapping interests, but it's still a big place. A big place with lots of different countries and many different cultures. The great thing about travel is the knowledge we gain about life and customs in all of these different places.

I think it's important to respect the differences in our cultures, especially when visiting another country. Kudos to the OP for practicing consideration by taking the time to inquire about practices in a place that he is so happy to be visiting for the first time. As divers, we should all remember the first time we were blessed to visit such amazing places and practice the same respect for areas we have the good fortune to visit and dive. I have learned lots of useful information reading through this entire thread, which I'm sure will prove useful during our visit in March.

That being said, I have a question. Does anyone have experience with using a WISE account to hold Indonesian Rupiah? Funds can be withdrawn at ATM's in Indonesia, but I'm wondering if the same maximum withdrawal limits apply?

It seems our world is getting smaller all the time with our technological advances and overlapping interests, but it's still a big place. A big place with lots of different countries and many different cultures. The great thing about travel is the knowledge we gain about life and customs in all of these different places.

I think it's important to respect the differences in our cultures, especially when visiting another country. Kudos to the OP for practicing consideration by taking the time to inquire about practices in a place that he is so happy to be visiting for the first time. As divers, we should all remember the first time we were blessed to visit such amazing places and practice the same respect for areas we have the good fortune to visit and dive. I have learned lots of useful information reading through this entire thread, which I'm sure will prove useful during our visit in March.

That being said, I have a question. Does anyone have experience with using a WISE account to hold Indonesian Rupiah? Funds can be withdrawn at ATM's in Indonesia, but I'm wondering if the same maximum withdrawal limits apply?
100% agree with what you said and about the OP. I appreciate that as well.

Yes, I use a Wise account to regularly hold, convert, withdraw at ATM in Indonesia Rupiahs (IDR). Same maximum withdrawals apply and the max amount is $1000 USD per day or $4000 USD per month for my specific account. Check your limits. You can opt to set them lower for security reasons but you can also freeze your card and change your PIN whenever you want with instantaneous results. I have been frequenting Indonesia a lot the last few years and have spent a chunk of my year there - can confirm Wise is reliable and great there with the local ATMs.

Thanks so much for the helpful information. We've got the Charles Schwab ATM card, but I've been reading that it's difficult to withdraw enough funds at one time so I was afraid the WISE account might also be limited by the machines.

But thanks to @Dan these two options will only be used as backup if needed. The 100's he mentioned will be option #1 :)

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom