Inexpensive diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider diving Bocas del Toro, Panama. Our diving prices are very similar to Utila's. We charge $60 for a two tank dive including a divemaster guide and all equipment. The diving in BDT features very healthy reefs and lots of invertebrates and tropical fish. We are not known for big critters, so if you are looking for big stuff, consider diving the Pacific side of Panama. While the diving here usually gets knocked because of low viz (we average about 40'), it is all the nutrient matter in the water that nourish our reefs. We have virtually no coral bleaching or black band disease. The water remains 82-84 degrees all year, and we never experience strong currents or high seas (things that can ruin many dive vacations). Even if the viz is low because of rain, there is always a ton to see.

If you can get to Bocas in September or October we can offer world class diving to some of our more remote sites like Polo Beach, Tiger Rock, and Escudo de Veraguas (Google Escudo de Veraguas for a look at some incredible diving). These sites are only accesible in Sept./Oct., and because they are further out they are slightly more expensive than our standard rates, but they are well worth it.

Airfare to Panama can be very inexpensive. I belong to Spirit Air's $9 Fare Club (Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel) and I just paid $91 roundtrip from Panama City to Ft. Lauderdale. Restaurants and lodging are incredibly cheap (check out BOCAS DEL TORO - Ecotourism in this Panama Caribbean region for more info).

Hello,

I've done most of my diving on Utila and Roatan, and am now looking to expand my horizons a bit. But I'm suffering from sticker shock, most of the places I'm looking at around the Caribbean and Central America charge close to $100 for two tanks, plus rental gear. This is a far cry from what I am used to...

Anything with a boat or a guide is going to be expensive. Find someplace that has shore diving and you can dive for ~$10/tank (a little more or less)

Terry

Here is a post I made on another thread.
About as inexpensive as I have ever experienced, [ I haven't been to all destinations mentioned above ]

Mexico is going to be your cheapest, as far as I know, dive destination outside the U.S. If you are traveling on a budget, don't forget to consider food costs when planning trips. Some locations mentioned are = $$$.
You can go to Isla Mujeres , Mexico, even cheaper than Cozumel. It is a very small island off the coast of Cancun. Just get cheap flights to Cancun, take transportation to the ferry in Cancun, & ride ferry across to the island of Isla. Small island, not the hassle of Cozumel, good rooms, at link below, for $35-+. Diving is not as good as Cozumel, but plenty good enough, & expect to see plenty of fish & reef sharks. Very laid back place & reminds me of what Cozumel was like in the 1980's.
Isla Mujeres Budget Rentals - Isla Mujeres shopping----------------Carnival
Isla Mujeres .info Q&A Message Board List [ lots of info here ]
Coral Scuba Dive Center - Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico - Diving, PADI certification, snorkeling Dive shop. If you have experience, take their adventure dives ]

Good call on the move, mods. A year ago I posted this exact question and received some strange answers like go to Coco View and your cost per dive will be low by making 5 dives per day. That might work, except that some of us would like to get through a week on two dives per day and a lot less money.

I am going to have to give this San Andreas place a look. Shore diving Bonaire does not work well for me as the Mermaid will not shore dive without a Sherpa to carry her gear to the sea, and I don't feel like a Sherpa these days. I still love the Bay Islands and believe that on a complete basis they offer the least expensive diving, if approached correctly. I will probably be going back before May first, and I have only been home from there since February 4th.

If you live close to Toronto, check out SellOffVacations.com - Lowest Price Guaranteed, Anytime You Travel. Mexico|Cuba|DR|Caribbean|Europe|Las Vegas if you can leave on short notice...like this Friday

Sometimes, can get a great deal to San Andres...flight, transfers, meals...all inclusive except diving. Feb 26 is $900 CDN, if room is available, it will get cheaper starting around next Tuesday.

Gear is great, late 80's I did a Table 6 decompression stint in their hyperbaric chamber, the Dr's were great & from Palistine. Total recovery.

The Island has gone into a wee bit of decay, since Columbia introduced some Duty Free zones on the mainland.

I usually stay at the Marazul, dive shop on the premise. Hymie is a very capable dive master.

Popped over to Providincalies (sp?) 2 years ago, great dive island. Part of the marine area is just for diving, on the other side of the island it's just for fishing.

The fact that there are no direct flights to/from the US, just Canada, Europe & SA, the island has not been Cozumelled. Please keep it that way !

A previous dive shop owner & instructor, Hussain, was putting together a biz plan to fly Airbus's to/from the US....5+ years ago. He went bankrupt, sold off the dive shops & has left the island.

Splurge on airfare and go to SE Asia - the diving is much better than Utilia (except whale sharks)- I can recommend a place in Bali that is $7 a tank/$6 a night & 1.50 per meal -

but usually it's $20-$25 per dive.
Just came from a month in Utilia - comparatively it is pricey ;-). PM me if you want more info!

Just one other suggestion: I just came back from Dominican Republic - the diving costs were about average for the Caribbean, but the living accommodations were very high quality for rock bottom price. All you can eat and all you can drink (including boos) seem to be pretty standard in DR. May affect your thinking if you have a non-diving spouse.

New to this kind of forum, how do you PM someone??? thanks

Please do :D.

You have to wing it a bit & not fear places that have seen better days. Not a great social scene (unless you like local culture - like I do) so best if you bring a partner with you but you may get lucky because often traveling instructors/DM's find their way here.

So the shop is in Tulemben. A great wreck dive, a very deep wall drop off & lots of local sites that you can access by hiring a fishing boat & taking a guide for probably $10 including tank.

If you go all the way through town on the black top towards the NW you will pass the public access park for divers. About 1 long block later there is a long dirt road heading down to the coast. If you're lucky you will see an old faded sign for "Puri Madha." At the start of the dirt road there is a new dive shop on the left. This place has the best rental gear around & will loan it to you if you need to be outfitted. Otherwise good luck with Puri Madha's gear - best to bring your own.

Go right on the dirt road. If you miss the turn you can also go to the public access and walk NW along the beach - you will soon come to Puri Madha.
It is the original shop (I believe) and is peaceful but is deffinately not a resort. Very chill, no high dollar tourists, no hustle. It's just NW of the wreck. Cheap but pretty clean rooms run $6US & have a basic bed w/sheet, cold shower, no towels & chair outside on the porch. You can upgrade to remodeled bungalows from $20 something and have AC & clean towels ;-). The basic room price included a very basic breakfast. The bungalows have a nicer breakfast.

The setting is very peaceful and even if you are using a guide, most likely you dive at your own leisure. Just chill & dive!

If the DM Angel is still there he's been diving the wreck his whole life & actually snorkled around the whole island of Bali. He KNOWS the site so best to chat or dive with him once or twice. If you have a motorcycle you may even be able to live with his family for much cheaper (If you're set on culture/budget experience & respectful of true balinese culture). If you see him please tell him Kathy from California says hi!

If you need help with inexpensive transport/travel info and don't mind chicken busses, PM me :D.

Also I've found pretty inexpensive diving in Sipadan, Lembeh Straights and Bunakan.

New to this kind of forum, how do you PM someone??? thanks

Just click on that persons name, then click on "personal information" then click on personal message.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom