Initial Canon G7XII UW RIG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaveXL

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First ScubaBoard post, be gentle!
I'm putting together my first uw camera setup using my Canon G7X II.
I've read several of the posts and seek your opinions.
Might you provide your recommendations for an initial minimum rig for my Canon?
Also I'd like to know more about your views on a complete setup.
My goal is that the initial minimum rig keep options open for an expanded system as I progress.
I've rigged boat and truck, uw camera rig is next
Vr
Joe
.·´¯`·.. <º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ¸<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸., . .·´¯`·..¸¸.·´><((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·. .¸¸.·´><((((º>.·´¯`·.. <º))))><`·.¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ¸<º))))><¸.·´¯`·.¸., . .·´¯`·..¸¸.·´><((((º>¸¸.· <º))))><`·.¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·. .¸¸.·´><((((º><¸.·´¯`·.¸., . .·´¯`·..¸¸.·

Attachments

• processed-495d6334-eafc-4ca8-8c33-ec78f9f024cf_E0UPCiMT (1).jpeg
    processed-495d6334-eafc-4ca8-8c33-ec78f9f024cf_E0UPCiMT (1).jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi @WaveXL

Minimal setup would be your camera and good UW housing to take ambient light shots. I've had a G7X in a Nauticam housing since 2015. I shot with a strobe for a while but abandoned it, I'm just not serious enough. The Nauticam housing is very rugged, just had it rebuilt at the end of 2021, good as new. The vacuum system has saved me twice when fibers got trapped in the O-ring. I don't do any processing either with exception of occasional crops. I shoot in JPEG but I think Canon eliminated the one button WB shortcut between the G7X and the G7X II. Likely you're more serious than I am and want to look at strobes, videolights... Many good photographers on SB. Best of luck

I have many photos in trip reports

Hi, @scubadada
Thanks your your reply re nauticam housing.
That's a very nice unit and is exactly what I'm looking for. What, if any, optional accessories do you recommend?
It seems that Nauticam has discontinued this particular model, however, many shops have existing inventory and used units.
Your Bonaire trip report is a fantastic motivator!

Hi @WaveXL

Others are much more qualified than I am at recommending accessories, as I no longer use any except for a hand strap on the right side, allowing secure one handed carrying and use.

1686576881523.png

In the past, I have used a Nauticam tray and arm with a Sea & Sea strobe. For a while, I used a compact acrylic dome to restore wide angle, but I like to take quick photos above water and the dome caused distortion. I take my videos using ambient light also, so have never tried video lights. The G7X white balance works on video as well as stills, good enough for me

Here are a few more photos in a completely different environment than Bonaire, Malpelo, Colombia. Best of luck with your G7X II

Hey there
Yup I would second the Nauticam. I've had a Sony RX100 Mark 1 housing for over a decade and it's still going strong.

What kind of photography are we talking about here?

For me (personally) the priority list for accessories would be:
1) a strobe, I have a single Inon D200 and it works fine for macro and fish shots. Without a strobe you will typically have washed out pics...
2) a macro lens (I love macro and things like nudi's dont move too much so are much easier to shoot ha ha)
3) a focus/ video light
4) wide angle wet lens
5) a second strobe
6) a new camera set-up and start all over again! ha ha

@AIMitch
Thanks for your response.
First step is housing, then start shooting in ambient light. If my interest warrants, I may expand my rig.

WaveXL,

Search under my name and you'll find several posts in various threads where I discuss using the wonderful compact Canon G7X II camera :)

DH

Back
Top Bottom