Insider Information - Local diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this recommendation comes up often, I thought that it would be useful to
post this here:

The folks at Wizard Publications have put together some excellent guidebooks
for Kauai, The Big Island, Maui and Oahu.

Highly recommended for those visiting Hawaii on vacation (and even those of us
who live here!)

A rather good book for Oahu shore diving has been authored by Francisco B. deCarvalho. The title is "The Oahu Snorkeler's and Shore Diver's Guide". It's available from Amazon.

I found this link while sifting an old browser directory. It may answer a lot of questions for people new to the Islands (even the oldtimers!):
http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/index.htm

Every Hawaiian diver who has ever dived the steep walls of Lehua Rock and Ni`ihau will agree that it is the most dramatic diving among the main Hawaiian Islands.

Best commercial write up is here:

Ni`ihau and Lehua Rock

It is rarely accessible consistently outside the summer months, though.

Want to go even further, charter a boat to Kaula Rock and Five Fathom Finger, where there are more sharks and big fish than you can shake a stick at.

Niiahu, Kaula, and Lehua Rock

I've put a lot of info about diving in Maui and the Big Island into these pages. They include information about dives, shops, operators, books, weather etc. My favourite dive was the Night Manta Ray dive off Kona on the Big Island - the night the Mantas showed up, not the other time...

Best wishes

Peter Forster

#1 - Au Au Canyon (South of Kona)
#2 - Pinacle Of Illusion (South of Kona)
#3 - Capt. Cook Monument (South of Kona)

Let's see if we can resurect this thread

Cathedrals #1 - Lanai
Molokini backwall
Sheraton Caves - Kauai

My top 3 on the Kona Coast:

Ule Pinnacle (specifically the canyon)
Twin Sisters
Hoover's

If you like the canyon at AuAu, you'll love the canyon at Ule Pinnacle.
Hoover's is also called Bandit Ledge by some operators, though I've never
seen Bandit Angelfish there. It's just a nice site with healthy hard corals
and interesting topography.

Maui - Pali area on the way to Lahaina. There is a spot boats like to take snorkelers to called the "Coral Gardens" only about 10fsw, but if you don't mind a long surface swim, or have access to kyaks heading straight out from there is the most beautiful coral reef I have seen yet on Maui (though there may be even better ones yet). Directions - heading around the Pali area (Hwy 30) toward Lahaina. After going through the tunnel pull off at the first beach area (obviously on the water side) it is about 1-2 miles after the tunnel. You can either walk 200 yards up the highway (there is actually a small pull off where you can park) and follow a small footpath down the slope and across the rocks or you can swim out from that beach about 400-500 yards at a 45* angle heading SE. The vis by shore is frequently only 5-10ft but it starts clearing up about 200 yards off shore and by the time you get to the descent point (about 20fsw) it's about 50 ft vis. The reef slopes quickly down to more than 100fsw with visability in the 100ft range by that point as well - lots of variety of coral including some beautiful plate coral. Lots of grouper (sea bass) including some very large 30-40 pounders as well as the usual eels, and other reef fish. If not entering at the sandy beach be careful as the surf can pick up making the exit along the rocky area dangerous (so be ready for a long surface swim to the sandy beachhead either way)

Aloha, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom