Question Instructor course with Wing BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "big issue" with a BP/W in an IE was it was a pain if you were the rescue victim... now I'd imagine if the skill was one where you'd want a jacket bcd you could borrow one from a classmate.
I hear you, and don't disagree that it may be easier to do some skills in certain configurations.

However, that may be doing a disservice to the students. In the rescue course I took, there were several different gear configurations. And we all pretty much took turns playing both victim and rescuer. I think the only thing we all had in common was that we practiced primary donate. There were necklaced octos, stowed octos, AIRs, BP/W w/ continuous webbing, BP/W with clipped webbing, Back inflate BCs, SPGs, AI wrist computers, and consoles. No doubles, No CCR, no Sidemount, and no Avelo, but I think we had just about everything else covered.

It would have certainly been easier if we were all in the same configuration, but that's unlikely in the real world. I'm glad we got to experience all of those different types in a course setting. Really helps to remind you to familiarize yourself with your buddy's gear.

I do not think BP/W is an issue but I personally would use recreational reg config just to be on the safe side for the IC/IE.

I hear you, and don't disagree that it may be easier to do some skills in certain configurations.

However, that may be doing a disservice to the students. In the rescue course I took, there were several different gear configurations. And we all pretty much took turns playing both victim and rescuer. I think the only thing we all had in common was that we practiced primary donate. There were necklaced octos, stowed octos, AIRs, BP/W w/ continuous webbing, BP/W with clipped webbing, Back inflate BCs, SPGs, AI wrist computers, and consoles. No doubles, No CCR, no Sidemount, and no Avelo, but I think we had just about everything else covered.

It would have certainly been easier if we were all in the same configuration, but that's unlikely in the real world. I'm glad we got to experience all of those different types in a course setting. Really helps to remind you to familiarize yourself with your buddy's gear.
I agree. I was speaking more to the IDC/IE if that wasn't clear.

I teach my students in a bp/w and long hose, which is a little more challenging than the standard rec config as far as the learning curve. We spend a fair amount of time talking about and looking at different types of gear because I know my students will often be renting gear on vacation, so it's valuable for them to know a variety of configurations.

However, instructor training is like all dive instruction and depends on the instructor. I'm a complete proponent of instructors taking the path of least resistance in their training. I'd be comfortable taking an IE today in whatever configuration, but unless you've got reps teaching in the config, AND the trainers and examiners are ok with what you're doing equipment-wise, it could be added stress in an already stressful process.

100%. but who uses weight belts anymore? lol actually i still do at times when doing single tank sm. i like being able to adjust the belt higher on my body for trim and being able to slide the weights side to side when the tank gets lighter.
On the issue of using your BP/W with long hose, I agree to simply ask your IT.

Regarding weight belts, as a drysuit diver primarily in salt, I wear 10lbs on a standard weight belt and then the balance in ditchable pockets or non ditchable trim pockets. Primary reason is to be able to have some manageable buoyancy control if I ever need to doff my rig at depth.

If you are the rescue victim in an IE wearing a BPW, as an examiner, I would expect to see the rescuer use some initiative and whip out their Eezy-Cut and slice the shoulder straps! That would be the instructor I'd want after they got their card.
Not the muppets crying about how hard it is to get the BC off of the victim.

And if I was using a BPW in the IE, I'd have 12-14 ft of webbing in my bag just in case a candidate did do the smart thing and not waste time trying to jerk the rig off.

Inflate the wing, cut the straps, and undo the waist belt. You now have the victim on a raft, and it is incredibly easy to extract them from the water.

That's what I always told my students in rescue class to do, and I would set up a BPW with me as the victim just so they could do that. It was 12 bucks worth of webbing I'd have to replace.

Well worth the benefits students got from seeing something closer to reality and getting a chance to use the tools they carried.

The only rule was no pointed knives. Eezy Cut, shears, or blunt serrated were all fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom