Where to take the Divemaster Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tschak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hy Guys!

I'm new in the forum and just a regular diver since 2016 with approx 250 dives, mainly in Asia and Egypt.

I'm 42 years old and from Austria. My wife and me have now decides that we will take the time to dive deeper into the matter and take our divemaster courses and following that the idc, starting June or July 2024. Therefor we will take some time off so we don't have to rush through. We also already have all the requirements for the Divemaster Course fulfilled. After the courses we plan to work in the Industry for some years. And yes, we know bout the financial situation and don't have the idea to get rich and famous.

We would prefer padi for the courses, not because we are huge padi fans but that opens the option to crossover to ssi more easily and cheaper than the other way round. Does that sound reasonable or do I miss anything here?

We, of course, speak German and English fluently but wouldn't be able to work in any other language.

Our main focus was SEA up to now, but we would surely also consider (pretty much) anywhere else in the world, as long as it is pretty warm. We did enjoy diving in the Austrian lakes in Dezember while it was snowing heavily but don't really need that every day.

Now comes the tricky part: Where should we take the Divemaster Course. Right now we see several interesting options and just can't decide where to go.

1. Bongo Bongo Divers in dauin, philippines: We already dived there some years ago and loved the center, the people and the muck.

2. Gili air, indonesia: We've already been to Bali, trawangan and gede, so we know we love the region and the people, but don't really need the party live on trawangan. Also there would be an option to take ddi courses on gili air.

3. Bigger operators: we thought about starting with some bigger operators like scuba junkies (we really liked them in kk and mabul), Euro Divers, prodivers,... The advantage could be, that starting to work as an instructor could be easier.

4. Sri lanka: We have never been there but friends of ours (both scuba instructors) worked there and just loved it.

5. Pretty much anywhere else, as long as we are convinced we get really good education and it feels right.

We don't really want to go to comodo. Weve been there twice and absolutely enjoyed the dining and the education would surly be great! However, we can't imagine living I labuan Bajo for 2 month and would absolutely prefer a house reef, so we can dive (more or less) limitless at any time.

We would very much appreciate any thoughts on the topic and for sure any tips on what to consider!

Cheers,
Jakob

Kao Tao Thailand. We have been there and really enjoyed out 3 weeks there. Good food and cheaper living
We've been to kho Tao twice. In face, we did our owd (ssi) and our rescue there. We absolutely love Thailand and the food is amazing. It's really a petty that su chilli closed during covid.

However we are concerned that koh Tao could be a disadvantage for future jobs.

Also the cost of living is surely to be considered, but is not our main focus.

We would surely go back there for traveling but are not sure if we should start our "pro life" there...

Perhaps the Riveria Maya - Playa del Carmen and Tulum area. Get a job at one of the many resorts as a DM. With some DM experience then take a Side Mount Course, Cavern, Intro to Cave, Cave course and become a Cavern and/or Cave guide. Noticed you are from Austria. Look up Patrick Widmann on Facebook also from Austria. XDeep representative. Has ownership in a shop in Tulum and Playa del Carmen

I would recommend a LDS in your hometown in Austria. Get your training locally, see if you really like teaching scuba, and then seek foreign adventure.

P.S. Being a diesel mechanic, or boat captain will help you get a job in the scuba industry.

Perhaps the Riveria Maya - Playa del Carmen and Tulum area. Get a job at one of the many resorts as a DM. With some DM experience then take a Side Mount Course, Cavern, Intro to Cave, Cave course and become a Cavern and/or Cave guide.
Thanks for the recommendation.
We definitely thought about Mexico. Never been there but my wife spent some time working in South America and really enjoyed it.

I'll definitely look up the locations!

Right now, I would not dare to think about becoming a cave instructor. I have huge respect for technical diving and would need to get a lot of experience in that field before considering that. I'm just a simple recreational diver enjoying the underwater world!

I would recommend a LDS in your hometown in Austria. Get your training locally, see if you really like teaching scuba, and then seek foreign adventure.

P.S. Being a diesel mechanic, or boat captain will help you get a job in the scuba industry.

Thank you very much. That would have been the way we originally would have preferred.

We are living right in the heart of the mountains, so diving is really not a big deal here. Our local diving club has approx 30 members (4-6 of them are diving frequently) , our lakes are usually 4°C (I think in fahrenheit that should be approyimately just freezing cold).

We are in contact with our local diving community but we don't see any opportunities to get our education here.

Although we have never been teaching scuba diving, we know we both love diving and teaching. Both of us have our masters degree in social work and are teaching in our field quite a bit beside our main jobs (in companies and on university). Therefor I'm pretty sure if we combine both of that it will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom