My Wife is finally giving Scuba a try - what can I do to help her succeed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
besides stay away and don't butt in between her and the instructor that is...

she _LOVES_ snorkeling, is very comfortable in the water and has been on the verge of taking the OW course several times only for injuries requiring surgery to interfere...

she is finally healthy and just took the SSI in pool "try Scuba" course (and loved it)

in a few weeks we are going to the Caribbean and she will be doing the PADI Discover Scuba with a dive shop I have dove with a lot and trust. down there she will get 2 boat dives with 1 on 1 instructor to diver ratio.

is there anything I can do to help her succeed other than just stay out of the way? I really want this to work out, I would love for her to fall in love with diving the way I have.

Give her options to pick out gear she likes that is the color she wants. Pretty mask and fins bring some fun into the mix. Even if it's not the best, let her decide on it. If she likes it then involve her in your local trips. Start with quick easy dives and then progress. She may even like being surface support and chatting with other SO that stay up top and only occasionally dive (that's what my wife does).

Go easy. Don't push her in to diving any more than you already have done and don't impress your vast skills and knowledge. Let her work things out for herself at her own pace. Fanatics can be tiresome to others.

Until she is certified, stay out of it. Do not teach, correct, of provide an opinion potentially contrary to the instructor. If she asks something (outside of class), go through her class materials together to find the answer. It is best to have her ask the instructor if the materials don't have a clear answer.

When she is certified, you both get to work together to enjoy the awesome sport.

As mentioned, basic equipment (fins/mask/snorkel) should obviously fit and function. They can be fun too...

Also keep your diving at her pace...

I've lived this with my wife and my daughter.

My partner was certified in 2012, after I'd been for many years, although without much diving. I had a business trip to Australia and we wanted to dive the GBR, which we did--that was her first salt water dive. We went to Bonaire next, and she had a lot of concerns (she's always been a good diver, but she called herself a "baby diver" until I begged her to stop around dive 500). Anyway, there was a guy on the island who called himself "The Scuba Coach," and we hired him. It was something--he swam the dives backwards, about 10' in front of her, and gave her the small amount of correction--and the huge amount of encouragement--she needed. After four dives, she said, "where are we going tomorrow?"And he said, "go wherever you want. You don't need me anymore." And he was right. She's likely to hit 900 this year, and 1,000 next year. I'm sure we would've gotten here without Hans, but it was certainly great doing it with him.
A long way of saying don't rush her (although of course I did), acknowledge her concerns (although of course I didn't always), and consider having a private guide for her for a few dunks.

We don't know your wife. And because of that, we don't know how best you can support her.

Absolutely, let the instructor teach her. Stay out of the way!!!

But outside of that, you can ask her the best way you can support her. Does she want you around to watch the skills? Does she want you on any of the checkout dives? Would she feel more comfortable with her own computer? Mask, etc?

Ask her.

Don't try to push your gear choices in her direction, especially if you are a bp/w convert. A lot of us use a bp/w, but many new divers are more comfortable in a jacket model because it keeps them more vertical in the water on the surface, and it is likely what they were trained in. I eventually switched to back mount, then bp/w, but my wife hated those, and I am very happy I did not press the subject. Hopefully you will have many wonderful dive years to follow.

Make her a good breakfast and provide a good lunch. Staying well hydrated and nourished is essential for energysurplus and warmth. (Oh and stay away).

Personally, being pearshaped, a BPW made wonders for ease of diving, but in the beginning, anything goes. Just stay in the background. One thing is during the class, more importantly is afterwards. Let her develop security in the knowledge she gets. Answer questions if she asks. Explain or show, but don't do it for her if she needs practical help. Don't but* in if she doesn't ask. Assume she can do it. (Whatever It is!)

But, other than knowing she can do it, and showing that you absolutely know she will ace it, I think food is my number one appreciated thing on divetrips.
Everything is always easier when you are the right temperature and have energy.

she _LOVES_ snorkeling, is very comfortable in the water
My advice is to not worry about it. With this background, she'll do great.

Maybe let her know that she doesn't have to worry about having to keep up with you or you being bored diving to her limits. Tell her that sharing a 60' dive with her is way better than anything you'll find deeper.

Back
Top Bottom