Touching Female Cave Students By Consent: An Instructor's Perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a cave diver (yet) nor a cave instructor but anytime I am teaching a female, I always let them know that dive instruction can be very hands-on. Especially when trying to correct their body position in-water. I let them know that if at anytime they feel uncomfortable, all they have to do is signal to stop, which is using the stop signal when underwater or verbally when at the surface. No explanation is needed from them as to what made them feel uncomfortable. As the instructor, the stop is all I need to hear or see and then it is my job to find a way to still correct any issues but in a different manner that makes them feel comfortable and safe.

I have yet to have any diver tell me to stop but every single woman thus far as stated that they appreciated me thinking about their comfort and stating this in advance.

This simple statement tends to give them comfort and understand that it is not just diving safety that is important to me but their general safety and well-being as well.

If you are an instructor, deckhand, insta-buddy or an interested bystander, ask permission before helping another diver, especially when such help might result in your inadvertently touching them in a sensitive area.

See that was easy.

Sorry, but I think the title of this thread is a bit cringey. You’re asking permission to render assistance, not to touch them.

If you are an instructor, deckhand, insta-buddy or an interested bystander, ask permission before helping another diver, especially when such help might result in your inadvertently touching them in a sensitive area.

See that was easy.

Sorry, but I think the title of this thread is a bit cringey. You’re asking permission to render assistance, not to touch them.
Yeah, and do not forget to consult your lawyer before that, or else you going to be in trouble.

On shaky boats, divers fall sometimes. With so many elderly divers these days it's becoming increasingly common. On our last boat dive in Florida, for example, 2 divers fell on deck. If this happens next to me, I react automatically and help. I do not care what areas I have to touch, sensitive or non-sensitive. If you are clumsy you put my dive at risk.

you will (or won't, whatever, honestly don't require your forgiveness) forgive me for saying, an incredibly short-sighted and regressive way to think

TLDR version: You might want to delete that post. It makes you sound like a dick.

You might want to delete that post. It makes you sound like a [some offensive term also referencing female anatomy].

My fave is when a greasy slumped forward hairy backed pimply overweight diver expects me to zip them up
To the rest of you I must have to wonder what makes you think anyone is interested in touching you anyway
Just remember if they say they like it rough just knee them in the groin and ask if they still feel the same way
It's Diving not Royalty school

Yeah, and do not forget to consult your lawyer before that, or else you going to be in trouble.

On shaky boats, divers fall sometimes. With so many elderly divers these days it's becoming increasingly common. On our last boat dive in Florida, for example, 2 divers fell on deck. If this happens next to me, I react automatically and help. I do not care what areas I have to touch, sensitive or non-sensitive. If you are clumsy you put my dive at risk.
Wow, ageist, ableist, and sexist in one!
First, cave divers are rarely falling on deck.
Second, no one said don’t help falling people, wether your dive is affected or not. What they ( and I) have said is don’t come at us without a heads up on what to expect during TRAINING!
Outside of TRAINING I have blackened eyes and broken noses. This could have been avoided and I refused to apologize.

Wow, ageist, ableist, and sexist in one!
First, cave divers are rarely falling on deck.
Second, no one said don’t help falling people, wether your dive is affected or not. What they ( and I) have said is don’t come at us without a heads up on what to expect during TRAINING!
Outside of TRAINING I have blackened eyes and broken noses. This could have been avoided and I refused to apologize.
I replied to the post that was general in character with no reference to cave diving or training.

Funny, though, after bringing up the whole bunch of bad -isms, you brag about your achievements in fist fighting. Isn't this ableism with a touch of self-praising?

I replied to the post that was general in character with no reference to cave diving or training.

Funny, though, after bringing up the whole bunch of bad -isms, you brag about your achievements in fist fighting. Isn't this ableism with a touch of self-praising?
The original post was in regards to cave diving training.
I have no achievements in fist fighting. I have had my space and body violated and reacted perhaps too aggressively. No bragging, no ableism.
If by chance we end up on a boat together let this old person fall, as I’d rather hit the deck than suffer your touch. :p

The original post was in regards to cave diving training.
I have no achievements in fist fighting. I have had my space and body violated and reacted perhaps too aggressively. No bragging, no ableism.
If by chance we end up on a boat together let this old person fall, as I’d rather hit the deck than suffer your touch. :p
No way. If you hurt yourself the dives will be seriously delayed or even cancelled. I won't let this happen!

No way. If you hurt yourself the dives will be seriously delayed or even cancelled. I won't let this happen!

Person 1: "Do not, under any circumstances, touch me."

Person 2: {touches Person 1 under any circumstances... in doing so commits assault}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom