Equipment A Dive to Remember: Overcoming Technical Hurdles with Teamwork

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by equipment failures including personal dive gear, compressors, analyzers, or odd things like a ladder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The delights of having an “episode” you walk away from, these are important to all divers so afterwards you can reflect and learn so nothing to feel bad about,
Here in the uk it still amuses (& bemuses) me to see instructors teaching students to purge their octo in a dsmb in cold water, the obvious way around it especially with Poseidon regs is to just catch exhaled gases with the bag and not bother purging, of course a little extra depth beyond 6-7m makes the job much easier, as a side note I will point out that the biggest pressure differential whilst immersed is in the 0-5m range, so I really would advocate putting a bag up at 10-15m using exhaled bubbles whilst moving up (if the individual is comfortable doing so) of course this isn’t always workable so as ever this advice is dynamic to the time and place, yeah you may need a tweak or service on the regs but I love Poseidon’s, the other option on the dsmb is to use Co2 cylinder powered ones although as with every plus there is a minus and you must have easy access to the cylinders and not forget to reload,, very useful for the ccr users obviously.

Best of luck, don’t be embarrassed, your post will help others.

freeflow a reg on purpose in 8 degree water will often lead to a uncontrolled freeflow as it freezes, now you know. To the loss of buoyancy control, practice.

freeflow a reg on purpose in 8 degree water will often lead to a uncontrolled freeflow as it freezes, now you know. To the loss of buoyancy control, practice.
And freeflowing poseidon's will drain a tank real quick! I used to drain a set of double 100s from 3300 psi to about 1500 psi in less than 2 minutes at the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom