Trip Report Bonaire shallow 50m dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually use AB car rental by the airport.

If you are going to use independent doubles, you can use dive friends and get tanks at any of the several tank exchange places on the island. It only about $200 for unlimited tanks for 6 days.

For trimix manifolded doubles we use Area 9. We also used them for manifolded doubles and just filled up at Bonaire Hydro and Maintenance behind the food warehouse. But you have to get fills between 8 and 5.

One other thing we do, if we are doing a lot of tec diving is bring our own AL40s.

We usually use AB car rental by the airport.

If you are going to use independent doubles, you can use dive friends and get tanks at any of the several tank exchange places on the island. It only about $200 for unlimited tanks for 6 days.

For trimix manifolded doubles we use Area 9. We also used them for manifolded doubles and just filled up at Bonaire Hydro and Maintenance behind the food warehouse. But you have to get fills between 8 and 5.

One other thing we do, if we are doing a lot of tec diving is bring our own AL40s.
Chris,
Thank you for the information.
AB are out of cars for may dates, but one of my group has some kind of status with Avis, so we have a pickup sorted.
I reached out to Dive friends. I like that they have several places to exchange tanks and open every day. Do they have wet gear lockers with 24/7 access in any of the shops? Do they have "dry" lockers anywhere?

This came out longer than I intended, but I welcome any criticisms:

My gear setup for independent tanks depends on what else I have.
For three tanks: I have a tank on my back with "Back Gas" then a "Stage/deco/pony" setup (with only a SPG and single second stage) on the right side with "Back Gas"(Long hose, inflator and SPG) and my regular "Deco gas" on the left side(pictures attached)
I have a bunges going from the one of the holes in the backplate under armpit to the D-rings and the tanks are like sidemount. So only one tank on the back and juggle tanks as needed.
For four tanks, I put two on the back and the other two in sidemount. Travel gas on right and deco on left. I stack additional deco on the left, or on the butt ring with a 2inch leash or hip ring with a 2inch leash.
When I get to 6 tanks, I want at least one 40meter support diver. (I am ok with 5 tanks, but my skill is stretched.)
I will also prefer to dive sidemount completely with 6 tanks. I saw pictures of divers going with double twinsets and that is too much.

I also don't use independent tank bands for independent doubles. I take two 2lbs weights and route everything with one big webbing and use the tank buckle to hold it all together. However: My single tank adapter is flat instead of a U channel. The flat piece allows you string a webbing through everything and when that buckle snaps, it is tight onto the backplate. I also turn the valves like you do so that the operation resembles the twinset (Some places have a "left handed" valve tank for sidemount).
Why bring AL40s?
In my opinion, AL40 is good for begginer technical divers. Getting used to the weight, propulsion and trim is easier in the begining. AL80 is good for experienced "Technical divers", even if you don't need the gas, it is good to have more and you can use it on the next dive. The weight and size are good practice for subsequent complex dives. I would hate to stage an AL80 for the first time on a dive that I really need it. I prefer "task loading" on simple, shallow dives with extra tanks (even empty ones without a regulator on them) just to get used to the logistics. Can't solve a skills problem with gear. Every dive is practice for the next one.

The usual Tec NOTOX procedure does not work well when you are alone. Each second stage regulator should be obvious if it is breathable or not without following the hose or in no-vis conditions. I put one ziptie on the regulator hose for my #1 gas, two zipties for #2 gas and three for #3 gas. This configuration is limited to three gasses. ("Zipties" picture attached: Breathing off the longhose with one ziptie and the necklace has one ziptie. Deco gas with Two zipties "Deco_zipties") I can feel the number of zipties on the stage in my mouth. A mirror is good for checking bubbles when you are alone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCKP5K6?th=1 .The white one also works as a slate. I keep it tucked under my computer. (Let me know if you want to see demo)
Some people will notice that I don't have a bolt snap that looks like this:

- I know. Take a look at this:

and this:

I don't really have strong feelings either way.

(Rant: I really wish we had a simple HUD for each regulator like the CCRs have. Each regulator would have a capsule with two LEDs: two lights = breathe. one light = don't breathe, no light = off. Each HUD will have a max and min depth. Wireless charging and programming.)

Attachments

• Deco1.png
    Deco1.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Deco2.png
    Deco2.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Zipties.png
    Zipties.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Deco_zipties.png
    Deco_zipties.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 38
I can do those dives with an AL100 as long as I carry a spare air correct?
I think he is just kidding... If you really want to dive solo and are ok with air/nitrox I used Dive Friends, they didn't require solo card if you presented some reasonable tech cert. I was using SM, they even have some dedicated SM tanks but not in all their filling stations so I was lazy and used standard ones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom