Get in your best shape for Bonaire Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: Dry suit is due back from DUI in 2 weeks so I am writing a new training split to accommodate diving 2- 3 x week. I am hoping for thoughts and feedback from any veterans out there.
The following are my thoughts for March through October:
  • Monday
    • Deadlift 3 x 5
    • Press 3 x 5
    • Bench 3 x 5
    • 20 min cardio
  • Tuesday
    • 1-2 Tank Morning shore dives (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Wednesday
    • Front Squat 3 x 8-12
    • Pull Ups 4 x 8-12
    • Dips 4 x 8-12
    • 20 min cardio
  • Thursday
    • 1 Tank Afternoon/Night dive (if canceled due to weather 30min cardio)
  • Friday
    • Back Squat 3 x 5
    • Barbell Bent Row 3 x 8-12
    • Cable Flys 3 x 8-12 (3 sets each from all three positions)
    • 20 min cardio
  • Saturday
    • 2 Tank Boat Dive (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Sunday
    • Rest Day
Training Goals
  • Maintain confidence and pride in my appearance which sustains my discipline for a healthy, calorie controlled diet
  • Tree trunk legs to shore dive back mount double steel 100s
  • Good aerobic conditioning so I am not out of breath during difficult shore entries
  • Well developed shoulders, chest & upper back
  • Keep busy so unhealthy lifestyle habits do not creep in
Thanks,
Rob

Update: Dry suit is due back from DUI in 2 weeks so I am writing a new training split to accommodate diving 2- 3 x week. I am hoping for thoughts and feedback from any veterans out there.

I've never really done any dive-specific training, although when we knew there were a lot of stairs on one ScubaBoard trip, we put a backpack with scuba weights at the bottom of the stairs and would take a quick trip up and down whenever we walked by.

@rrw1987, have you seen the "Dive into Fitness" section of ScubaBoard? I recall seeing some great ideas for strength conditioning for diving.

Our family dug out our Fitbits this week, so we are competing to see who gets the most steps. None of us care for exercise, but we are competitive!

The following are my thoughts for March through October:
  • Monday
    • Deadlift 3 x 5
    • Press 3 x 5
    • Bench 3 x 5
    • 20 min cardio
  • Tuesday
    • 1-2 Tank Morning shore dives (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Wednesday
    • Front Squat 3 x 8-12
    • Pull Ups 4 x 8-12
    • Dips 4 x 8-12
    • 20 min cardio
  • Thursday
    • 1 Tank Afternoon/Night dive (if canceled due to weather 30min cardio)
  • Friday
    • Back Squat 3 x 5
    • Barbell Bent Row 3 x 8-12
    • Cable Flys 3 x 8-12 (3 sets each from all three positions)
    • 20 min cardio
  • Saturday
    • 2 Tank Boat Dive (if canceled due to weather 30 min cardio)
  • Sunday
    • Rest Day
Training Goals
  • Maintain confidence and pride in my appearance which sustains my discipline for a healthy, calorie controlled diet
  • Tree trunk legs to shore dive back mount double steel 100s
  • Good aerobic conditioning so I am not out of breath during difficult shore entries
  • Well developed shoulders, chest & upper back
  • Keep busy so unhealthy lifestyle habits do not creep in
Thanks,
Rob
That's wonderful for you, but that might be a bit too much for most.

I've never really done any dive-specific training, although when we knew there were a lot of stairs on one ScubaBoard trip, we put a backpack with scuba weights at the bottom of the stairs and would take a quick trip up and down whenever we walked by.

@rrw1987, have you seen the "Dive into Fitness" section of ScubaBoard? I recall seeing some great ideas for strength conditioning for diving.
You might find some like-minded divers in the thread @jsisemore recommended.
My routine is dancing to "YMCA" and moving whenever I can.
I'm just trying to encourage myself and the rest of those going on the Invasion to get some activity in and make the most of the opportunity to shore dive as much as possible without getting injured.

Mostly I am just focusing on walking more, to build the leg back up, and prepare for shore diving again.
I had to stop for @ a week because I overdid trying to hike @ 2 weeks ago without the support of my heavy hiking boots, and I injured my bad foot. It healed quickly when I had no choice but stop for 4 or 5 days.
I have to accept that I need the serious ankle support for rough terrain and long walks, but can get away with sneakers or dive boots for just short excursions.
The pup and I put >4miles in yesterday, hiking over a rough section of limestone Karst above the farm. And then we did another 2 miles along the creek bed below here today.
The leg is getting stronger, but will always be a limiting factor for me.
Other exercise, I get plenty of just by taking care of this old farm.

Are we there yet?

My exercise equipment didn't work out. He kept chasing the cats. So off he goes to a new foster home.
Still need to get other fitness in besides the kayak and beach dives I do now.
The Fitness section used to be pretty active. @coach_izzy has a book out using Kettlebells. Kettlebells for the Fit Diver. Oops, looks out of print..

I have a 15lb bell. Guess I need to start using it.

My exercise equipment didn't work out. He kept chasing the cats. So off he goes to a new foster home.
Still need to get other fitness in besides the kayak and beach dives I do now.
The Fitness section used to be pretty active. @coach_izzy has a book out using Kettlebells. Kettlebells for the Fit Diver. Oops, looks out of print..

I have a 15lb bell. Guess I need to start using it.
Too bad about the pup.

thanks. It was a hard decision. He had a lot of positives, but the cat chasing was a huge NO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom