Please help me help my wife! Recommendations for hair care while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another vote for sea2stream conditioner. My partner puts it in her hair after the dive.

I use the Stream2Sea conditioner daily and it’s wonderful. Don’t have to worry about diving wrecking my hair, though. I have short hair and I only dive freshwater.

If the bubbles in a beanie or hood are part of the problem, try putting a small hole in the top and see if that helps - it works for me !

If the bubbles in a beanie or hood are part of the problem, try putting a small hole in the top and see if that helps - it works for me !

I burned (pencil type soldering iron) two holes into both my wife and my beanie to prevent them from floating. Also choose one with a chin strap.

Wet hair and slather with conditioner, then wear the Henderson hyper-stretch hooded vest.

This keeps the salt water out of your hair.

When you get out of the water, you can take it off and leave the conditioner in until you shower.

IMG_2751.jpeg

It keeps your hair out of the hoses too!

IMG_3916.jpeg

My wife is getting very tired of her hair ending up knotted and damaged from diving. She's tried a few solutions - using multiple hair ties and putting her hair into a pony tail, braiding her hair, and she tried out a loose beanie that ended up being useless as bubbles would get in and lift it off her hair. She does use a neoprene mask strap cover and has for years, but at this point I don't think the problem is mask strap related - her hair just doesn't seem to like diving anymore.

Do any of our lady divers with long hair have recommendations that I could give her to help keep it from getting damaged every time we dive?
I have one of these hoods and love it! Has a tiny vent hole in the top, so won't fill with air :) Lycra Hood by Dive Buddy Originals - Dive Shirts - Scubatoys.com I also braid and condition my hair underneath like she already does.

I used a scubadorag for a few years when I had long hair but I'm kinda blessed with strong hair. Just headandshoulders every evening. But the do-rag kept it from dancing around during the dive and I suspect that the constant movement is the source of a lot of the breaking, split ends and tangling. You could just get a triangular piece of neoprene and make your own do-rag.

BTW I just ordered two of the hyperstretch Henderson hoods for 20 Euros from Ebay (barely used) for winter kayaking

I think they have been discontinued and I love the buttery feeling of this neoprene.

Hoodies and swim caps are the gold standard in diving hair care. I have tried numerous variations, but in the end, I realize that I am simply too fidgety to wear either. The Stream2sea line has a loyal following. With my coarse hair, I need something heavier. I use a cloth, gator style headband(great experiences with Junk Brands). I don't like wearing a pony tail. My mask strap ends up either pushing down on the elastic band, or the strap pulls out the shorter layers. Instead, I wear my hair in low, snug piggy tails, usually braided.
I pack some coconut oil capsules(Swanson's Vitamins has some high quality, reasonable priced capsules). I break capsule open and rub mid to ends of hair before tying or braiding; careful not to get any hairs close to face since a mask film would be a disaster.

Sure I might look like the bride of Chucky, being in my 50's with the fugly, oily braids and headband, but it seems to work for me. After showering, I use the Wow brand coconut and kale leave in conditioner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom