It has been a while, sister and I finally going to a Try SCUBA event

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pettyfan45

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is my first post: I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Wow it has almost 5 years... a lot of things have happed. The plain for the trip we were going to take went down the toilet after mom got hurt at her old job and the money saved from that had to go help keep the house running, my knee injury turned out to be real bad and I will require a knee replacement at some point (being only 31yo they are doing what they can delay it as long as possible), and in July I had a medical device called a "baclofen pump" implanted into my body ( the pump is inside me and delivers the baclofen medication to my spine to help control the painful spasms from my cerebral palsy) the and while it is working great to controls my spasms but I learned that because of it I can only dive to 33 feet (10 meters), I can't get a regular dive certification.

To fun stuff a dive shop is having a free Try SCUBA event (some call it Discover SCUBA). After having a chat with gentlemen at the shop he asked me to get a medical questioner signed off by my doctor and doctor said there should not be any issues and singed off on it as long as I don't go deeper than 33 feet ( this event at an indoor pool that is 20 feet deep so no issues there). While I can't get a normal certification depending how the Try SCUBA thing goes I can always look into an Adaptive Driver certification.

Congratulations on being ready to do a Try SCUBA event!

I sometimes assist Adaptive Divers with DiveHeart, including one with cerebral palsy who really loves to dive - he's been considering going to Cozumel with DiveHeart sometime. DiveHeart, Dive Pirates, and other similar adaptive diving groups have some great trip options. And some of my best dives have been less than 30 feet, so you will still be able to have a lot of fun and see some really cool things!

Back
Top Bottom