Instructor Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was asking the instructors at my LDS the same questions, as I have every intention of progressing through to instructor (currently holding at NAUI MSD+Rescue until they get another group started). Anyway, they said our shop doesn't do group insurance, as most of the instructors at least occasionally teach outside the shop. They'd need personal insurance anyway, so they don't bother with a group policy.

(Also, regarding waivers, it varies depending on locale, but in many places, waivers are a strong defense against simple negligence but not a defense against gross negligence... or was that Perry Mason I was watching?)

In order to issue a certification through any agency, more than likely that agency will have insurance requirements. For example, to issue a PADI certification, you must be a PADI instructor with current dues and current insurance. You'll need to check with the certifiying agency to find out the insurance requirements.

You don't have to buy the insurance through said agency. There are other sources of the liability insurance out there. My insurance is not through PADI, but it meets all of their coverages. My insurance is slightly cheaper than PADI's, it offers some better coverages, and I get personalized service.

You could go off on your own and start your own certifying agency and write your own insurance requirements, but if you want to use an agency's established reputation, their marketing efforts, etc. then you'll play by their rules.

DBailey:
You could go off on your own and start your own certifying agency and write your own insurance requirements, but if you want to use an agency's established reputation, their marketing efforts, etc. then you'll play by their rules.
Are you a MEMBER or a CUSTOMER?

Insurance plans run the gamut. If you intend to teach independantly you will need your own insurance.

If you are working for a shop only, your own insurance is a good idea, but the need for your own insurance depends on what they carry. My inurance covers any current DM or Instructor, whether or not they've picked up their own insurance. I insure the position, not the person. However it only covers them when they are working for me, not themselves or other entities. If someone working for me needs proof of insurance to give their agency to remain current, I call up my insurance agency and add them to my roll, they then forward proof of a listing as an additional insured. There are a couple of caveats... they aren't covered anywhere else, I can only have "X" number employees, matching up to the number of positions I've insured, working at any given moment (Example: I've inusred 3 positions, if I have 4 workers at the time something happens then I and probably they are screwed. I could use different people each charter, as long as I only work no more than 3 on any given charter). This program is getting more popular here in Kona, with at least 3 or 4 operators I know of using it. There's no cost to the Instructor or DM but it helps to keep them from working themselves or others who don't have the same program unless the Instructor or DM purchases their own insurance.

There are other group coverage programs out there also that can give an instructor a reduced rate, but not having that I couldn't comment on it.

You have to buy your own. Unless a shop will pay for it ... but then they'll likely have you sign a non compete saying you will not teach privately outside the shop. It's just one of those things that come with the territory. Some shops have group coverage. But a word to the wise ... if someone is going to sue they are going to sue everyone they can.

I had a DM he was 41 at the time on a deep class he was helping me on and had a heart attack and die at 90ft. His wife didn't even think about money but others do and I was worried what if it would of came down different? I did alot of rescue diving and salvage for the drag boat races in this area. I was the first in the water off the rescue boat as they were flying by. A few died. It's hard to write that check but you feel alot better if something happens that your booty is covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom