Instructor vs Solo Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about how you roll, but I won't an issue a c-card to someone that I haven't done the training with.
I totally and 100% agree with you on this. I don't at all expect anyone to issue me a Solo card. I just want to see a really good picture of one so that I can fab one up in Photoshop (just for me personally).

I think the OP is referencing the solo diving DMs and instructors often do to set up for a class. When I was a DMC, I was solo when doing my mapping project and because I was spending so much time underwater (I was setting a line between objects to get accurate compass readings), so I was outfitted for solo diving with a pony, cutting tools, etc., pretty much what was needed to get out of dodge. I had no course for this.

When I teach open water, I am there an hour before my students setting up a 44 lb. claw hammer to secure my dive platform and a small lift bag underwater on the other end of the rope to account for the tide going in and out. I don't have redundant air as the surface is so close. When I teach navigation, I set up 100 feet of line at around 20 feet (one end to the chain of an existing buoy and the other with a buoy I bring). So, I am task loaded, not diving for fun, but have to have the SA to ensure I don't get entangled and drown.

Now this may or may not be the experience of other instructors but given that the OP taught in the same waters as me, I'm guessing it is. I cannot speak for other regions of the world.

Risk of litigation trumps all however. It doesn't matter for insurance policies if someone has the experience. It matters if they have the card.

But if you go on a boat and they let you dive solo without the training and you kill yourself, there could be a lawsuit coming against the operator.

This is not legal advise....but, Courts, Fed and State, give a lot of deference to liability waivers when participating in "high risk" activities. Doesn't mean the operator wont find themselves in court, but very often it over before it starts. There is a great quote in a old Fed Court ruling regarding waivers, something like "people wanting to kill themselves", I'll have to find it.

Totally agree.... That's why I want "the card". Not the training or experience because I already have that, JUST THE CARD. That way I get what I want and the operator is covered for liability just exactly the same as they are covered by any diver who presents any cert card...

Now this is a different story, some dumb ass instructor gives you a card based on you just telling them how great you are, and then you die, that instructor better hope he/she/they has lots of insurance.....and hope and pray that the insurance policy covers that kind of strokery.

I totally and 100% agree with you on this. I don't at all expect anyone to issue me a Solo card. I just want to see a really good picture of one so that I can fab one up in Photoshop (just for me personally).
So you are posting in a public forum that you intend to commit fraud? Good move.

Just a tought, is it fraud to fake a scuba cert?

Since scuba agencies involved in litigation always make it a point to say that people carrying their certification cards are not involved with the agency in any way do they have a right to sue someone walking around with a fake card that has nothing to do with them either?
I just feel a need to make a fake PDAI or similar wrong acronym card and go diving with it until i get caught.

Since scuba agencies involved in litigation always make it a point to say that people carrying their certification cards are not involved with the agency in any way do they have a right to sue someone walking around with a fake card that has nothing to do with them either?
I just feel a need to make a fake PDAI or similar wrong acronym card and go diving with it until i get caught.
I know the FBI cares quite a bit about fake IDs. Fake certification cards, probably not as much! :wink: To quote the documentary 32 hours 7 minutes: "It's not something the FBI tracks"

Just my opinion…it wouldn’t matter until you got someone killed with your fake cert…

Just my opinion…it wouldn’t matter until you got someone killed with your fake cert…
May I ask, who exactly the OP would kill while making use of a fraudulent solo cert? LOL :)

Does killing someone with a genuine cert make it any better?

Does killing someone with a genuine cert make it any better?
For the plaintiff yes, as then the agency doesn't get automatically dismissed from the lawsuit.

Back
Top Bottom