Instructors pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I shared $35,000 at the resort we worked at in Belize. We also had resort and dive shop management duities and no benifits, paid our own housing and expenses. 12 hr days 5 or 6 days a week unless there was a rush than it was 7 days

I am not an instructor or even close, but i'm glad to see a lack of complaining and an abundance of enthusiasm for the sport. If diving were to get anymore expensive, I'd have to quit. I love it and all you guys out there spending "your" time to teach us is greatly appreciated. I'm just recently cerified and plan to spend my summer diving as well as a few days on my honeymoon in Hawaii.

most dive professionals I've had contact with work like dogs for low wages. It really steams me when I hear stories about people failing to tip instructors or dive crews. These people are psending their time (and yes, it is "their" time, time they could just as easily spend at a more lucrative job) making sure your dive is safe and fun. They deserve to make a decent living.

And no, I am not a dive professional. I'm just a human being who appreciates dive professionals.

Now, don't get me wrong...I firmly believe in tipping, I worked to many hours as a waitress not to. I'm not saying they shouldn't be tipped they should, and I do tip...that being said....

While a dive proffesional is a service position...it's not all selfless out of the goodness of their heart...they've chosen to do what they do, becuase they get something out of it.... granted that's not generally big piles of money, but they get something out of it or they wouldn't do it.

If money was their prime motivator...they shouldn't be in a position that depends on tipping (no matter what the job is). Everyone's got priorities when it comes to finding work....that goes for every proffesion...if you're looking for 9-5 stability, you shouldn't be a doctor, if home life is important to you, you shouldn't work on a cruise ship <grin>, if financial stability (ie I know that I make x amount every week) is a priority then any position that depends on tipping probably wouldn't be for you.

These people are spending their time, just as they choose...as I am.

Not a dive professional either...and also a human being who appreciates folks who love what they do.

Peace,
Cathie

raviepoo once bubbled...
most dive professionals I've had contact with work like dogs for low wages. It really steams me when I hear stories about people failing to tip instructors or dive crews. These people are psending their time (and yes, it is "their" time, time they could just as easily spend at a more lucrative job) making sure your dive is safe and fun. They deserve to make a decent living.

And no, I am not a dive professional. I'm just a human being who appreciates dive professionals.

So far, as a weekend DM, I get free airfills for any diving related to the shop/teaching and sometimes price breaks on gear...

The big savings is being able to take some courses 'at cost'. EG: cost of manual and the c-card fee.

The idea is that the LDS prefers anyone DMing a course to be certified in that course so you are better able to assist studants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom