Integrated weights versus weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I am shocked at how badly I get my butt kicked by the weight of my gear!

This part gets better. When I did my OW, I couldn't climb out of the pool with an Al63 on my back. Now, I climb three flights of stairs in doubles. (I also get them in and out of my car by myself, and such like.) Very little gym time was involved -- Mostly, it's just been hauling gear!

Very little gym time was involved -- Mostly, it's just been hauling gear!

LOL - I have begun applying my sailboat racing skills to scuba...

I raced on boats for a few years and never had the same strength as my male counterparts - so I learned to work smarter when brute force failed me.

I recently bought a tank carrying strap. Two straps with a handle. I slip it on my tank and can carry it across the lot like a suitcase. Much easier for me than by the neck of the tank.

:D

Greetings gNats once again it is good to see you are from Michigan! I grew up just a mile into Indiana. I so enjoyed the lakes in Branch county and look forward to diving them in the future.
You have received some great advice so far and little entertainment! Ha. Ha.
One thing I did that I found so wonderful is try a back plate and harness. In my case a stainless steel BP with a single tank adapter really helped balance my weighting out.
This was a huge benefit when diving dry. I totally agree with TSandM , my wife is actually in the same process you are right now. She is diving about half in her BC and half on her belt. In conversation lately it has been mentioned to just go with a belt.
She to has issues with the weighted BC. I once again agree with TSandM, the more you dive the easier moving gear becomes. The more we get used to it, anyway!
Are you planning any winter dives this year?
Gilboa quarry always hosts a New Years day dive. They have give aways, raffles, etc.
It is always fun to brave the elements and converse with other cold water divers!
Good luck and continue to learn, progress in your diving. There are so many exciting things to try and places to see! The only bummer is we have to work to fund the obsession!
Have a great day!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'm kinda wondering about how many accidents have been caused by being separated from your integrated BC ?
... given that it's just "one waiting to happen"
As I said earlier, in over 10,000 dives there have been a handful of incidents where having a weight integrated BC might have put me in problems, and I probably make more (in terms of numbers) "difficult" dives than most folks. But ... all it takes is one such incident to ruin your day.:D

It depends on how you're shaped and how your BC retains weights and how your trim is.

A weight belt will only stay in place reliably if your waist is smaller than your hips. This lets out a lot of guys and some women too.

Integrated weights are nice if the retaining mechanism won't fail unexpectedly. This eliminates anything that uses friction or velcro to retain the weights. Weights are the only thing you can't share with your buddy. If you lose your weights, you're going up and are probably going to do it quickly.

As a guy and a desk-jocky, my preference is a weight harness (DUI weight and trim). It's adjustable for size and location, won't fall off and won't unexpectedly ditch your weights. However if you have a smaller waist than hips and don't need more weight than will fit on your belt, a belt works quite nicely.

Terry

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few postings regarding weights and would like to hear what everyone else prefers.

I have a weight integrated BC. 2 dump pockets on the hips and 2 trim pockets on the back.

Which do you prefer? Integrated soft weights or a weight belt? If you prefer the weight belt, do you use the hard or soft weights?

From what I have read in the other postings, it appears if moving the weights to a belt helps distribute the weight more evenly on the body. Is this true? Does it help with trim and boyancy or does the weight belt merely make the BC more manageable?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I fail to see the difference between taking off a BC, with or without integrated weights.

I know this has already been answered, but I just want to assure you from personal experience that it is VERY TRICKY to take off and get back in a weight integrated BC.

I practiced this in the pool, as soon as I had my BC off I started floating away from it (26 LBS in the BC), and I had to hang onto it for dear life. Getting it back on was a real serious challenge, but I was able to come up with a way to do it that was doable... basically take the BC, put one arm through, then roll it onto your back... then do it with the weight of the rig keeping you somewhat close to neutral... not something I would want to try anywhere near an entanglement area.

I tried this in the pool because I needed to be able to do this drill, and I wanted any uncontrolled ascent to be limited to about 5 feet :)

I am seriously reconsidering the wisdom of using a weight integrated BC after this experiment... but on the bright side if I do go with a belt, then I can use my weight integration pockets to store away all my stuff and get more streamlined.

I know this has already been answered, but I just want to assure you from personal experience that it is VERY TRICKY to take off and get back in a weight integrated BC.

A WI BC is no harder to deal with than non-WI, it's just different.

If you're neutral and take off a WI BC, you'll still be neutral, however the BC will probably be underneath you. Getting back into it requires only poking your arm through an arm-hole and rolling your body back into it.

A non-WI BC works the same way, except it will probably be floating over you instead of under you, however in both cases, if the combination of you and the BC were neutral before you took it off, you'll still be neutral after you take it off.

It shouldn't be "tricky" you just need to watch someone demonstrate the skill.

Terry

Integrated weight systems are basically accidents waiting to happen. It's one thing to be in the tropics with a skinny suit and 8 lbs in your BC, it's another to have 20 in your BC and blunder into a gill net that requires removing your rig to get clear. I wear a weightbelt or a harness ... even in the tropics with eight lbs.

How often does this really happen? I read the cautions about integrated weight systems all the time but where are the posts in the accidents or near miss forums? Based on the number of posts warning of their danger, you would think there would be numerous posts on the subject. Same thing goes with the plastic buckles of death.

I do agree that if you need more than 20 lbs in your pockets, a belt is better and less hassle.

A WI BC is no harder to deal with than non-WI, it's just different.

If you're neutral and take off a WI BC, you'll still be neutral, however the BC will probably be underneath you. Getting back into it requires only poking your arm through an arm-hole and rolling your body back into it.

A non-WI BC works the same way, except it will probably be floating over you instead of under you, however in both cases, if the combination of you and the BC were neutral before you took it off, you'll still be neutral after you take it off.

It shouldn't be "tricky" you just need to watch someone demonstrate the skill.

Terry
Your analysis falls apart when there's twenty lbs of lead in the BC.

OK,,got a question.Thru certification and for awhile,I wear a farmer john,2 piece,7mil.We had to wear weight belts in training and I used 18lbs.Let out the air,exhaled,sink like a rock.I will adjust to less weight i am sure as I get better and more exper.My question.I see people weighing 125,130 lbs using 20 lbs weights,I am 192 lbs and will drop down to maybe 14 - 15 lbs with intergrated weights and the 7 mil..Am I missing something?Seems I should use the heavier.Just an observation and i will figure this out as I train and get better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom