Intermittent Recompression Stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa once bubbled...

I was asking for practical applications. Not theory. I've spoken with Eric Baker on the issue. He's the dude that runs comparisons on JJ after WKPP dives. He mentioned the point.
Can this be moved back to where PRACTICAL APPLICATION can answer?

Sorry Sherp I didn't intend for them to move the thread (nobody else listens to me. I just thought there would be a better chance that someone would have the answer. I know who Eric Backer is but have never heard this theory. I guess I would be interested in hearing about it also.

I moved the thread to Ask Dr. Deco as I agreed with Mike and believed it better served there... as well as having a good chance Dr. Deco'll see it and provide us with his input. However if the original author wants it here, then who am I to argue.

And a side effect of the move results in a reference in the Dr. Deco forum pointing to this thread anyway...

Thanks for replacing, Spectre. I was hoping to hear from someone who is actually doing it more than someone who knows the theories. I value both, but don't want to be the guinea pig!:bonk:

Sherp,have you ran a variety of these profiles on your deco programs to see what happened?Just for giggles of course until someone knowledgeable shows up.

The problem is that the software is not taking the info into account, sort of like some software doesn't take deep stops into account.

The equations that set up deco are mostly single var. DE's. It's fairly common sense to see the limitations of such a manner of calculating deco.

Cheers,
Sherpa

Dear Divesherpa:

To my knowledge, no one has tried this type of decompression in a laboratory trial. A few years ago, I believe that I was shown a decompression schedule by Dr Michael Gernhardt that illustrated “spiked decompression.” The point of all of this was to increase the internal pressure of the gas in the gas bubble and cause it to diffuse into the tissue. The trick was to do this in such a fashion that you would get an overall net positive effect. That is, you would dump gas from the bubble faster than you would add gas to the tissue. We would jokingly refer to this as “shaking the bubbles loose.“

In the absence of a laboratory test, this must be modeled and the end result will depend on the parameters that are chosen. It is a relatively complicated situation to model mathematically.

I regret that I do not have any practical knowledge of this, as I have never heard of anyone actually doing anything of this nature.

Dr Deco:doctor:

On vacation this week.

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Deco

The "shaking the bubbles loose" analogy is how it was explained to me as well.

Enjoy your vacation. When you get back, hopefully the discussion will continue.

Cheers,
Sherpa

some months back I saw a TV program that involved divers from Britain and one of the techniques they were using was what they called reverse profile diving the purpose of which was to crush and or shake loose bubbles.

This isn't exactly the same thing you are asking about but maybe you could ask some of the British diving brethen about this. It may or may not lead you to the info you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom