internet delivery of video? Pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stillhope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In case you haven't heard in one of the other threads, I produce a half-hour underwater TV series, "SEA-Inside: Pacific Northwest," that aims to help people (even non-divers) get to know their underwater neighbors. It's something like a TV version of an underwater film/photo festival that occurs every month or two.

The focus of my series is on Pacific Northwest marine life, although I occasionally include content from some other part of the globe. The series currently appears on 12 public access (non-commercial) cable TV stations along the U.S. West Coast, reaching over 1.5 million homes, and including the greater Portland/Vancouver area.

I have been asked numerous times how someone who doesn't have cable can see this program -- of course I want to tell them just to view it on-line, but I'm still getting my mind around what is practical and reasonable in terms of on-line video. I'm hoping some of you out there will share various thoughts on the matter.

First of all, this is a non-profit project with a very small budget. Second, I do own some pretty good, up-to-date NLE and compression software (Final Cut Studio), so I can compress pretty nicely.

My biggest question surrounds the fact that the show is about 30 minutes long, and most videos I see on-line are under 10 minutes. Would enough people really want to download (or watch) a 30 minute, compressed, on-line video with its 320x240 or 480x360 screen to make putting it online worthwhile?

Is there a better approach?

Splitting the show up into 5 or 10 minute pieces has been suggested, but it is like a magazine show -- a collection of short videos by a variety of people. I think that splitting it up into individual videos would lose the cohesion and purpose of the show, but maybe I'm being too old-fashioned?!?!

But before exploring the splitting-up option, any other ideas about the pros and cons of airing a 30 minute on-line video show?

aloha.
the future is in online video.
everything is changing as we speak. The aspect ratios are fine. a person can double click on the video and it will go full screen. Just make sure you upload a full resolution master then the video hosting site will compress to their specs. I've been doing for the past several months and the quality looks good. After you compress your master file to an MPEG 2, the file should be well under 100 MB. The limit on most video servers are 10 minutes or 100 MB. You only have to meet one or the other. Also, GoogleVideo gives you the option of uploading much bigger files if you wish. That's where I am right now. Or send it via post to GoogleVideo & they will upload it for you. I have a deal with GoogleVideo but I think everybody has the same benefits.

Hope That helps.

Aloha.

Maui Diver

Back
Top Bottom