Internet dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amys,

I just ordered a Suunto Vyper wrist-mounted computer and a Suunto wrist mount compass from simplyscuba.com in the UK which arrived this past Monday -- excellent prices, especially on Suunto computers and Apeks regs (both EXCELLENT product lines). Note that the initial prices you see on their website include european VTA/sales tax of 17.5%. You don't have to pay this if ordering from US. Once you put things in you basket and "check-out" this tax is subtracted. Shipping costs to the US is about $15-20 for standard shipping and $50 for 3 day rush delivery via UPS to the US. No customs duties on scuba gear orders coming into the US.

Sorry if you're not in the US, since all of my comments are US-focused.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the gear purchases.

http://www.simplyscuba.com

Amys,

A few more points I forgot to mention -- one of the key things to consider when ordering online is the validity of the warranty. simplyscuba.com is an authorized dealer of all of the products they sell. One caveat here is that you may have to send the product back to the UK if you want warranty work done for free. I asked Suunto about this before I bought the computer -- they confirmed that since simplyscuba is served by Suunto Europe, most US shops would not provide this work for free. For this particular purchase (computer), I weighed the savings I received (dive shop price = $450 vs. online price plus shipping = $290) vs. the potential for having to pay for warranty work myself....ordering online still seemed like a net positive to me.

Can't vouch for leisurepro -- I have heard that sometimes they are selling "gray" market stuff with warranties that may not be valid.

Also to be considered is the service required on some products when you buy them (namely regulators) -- this is one thing I would be hesitant to buy online because I want tech help setting it up (hoses, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom