Internet traffic shutdown in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Internet is back online the last few days - otherwise I wouldn't have been posting!

It's been dead quiet here but it is also low season. For sure we are down on last year and for sure the political problems (and sharks, crappy Euros, no money, frozen airports) are also to blame.

I would like to remind potential visitors that the Eastern coast of Sinai - Sharm, Dahab, Nuweiba, exist in their own political bubble, and southern mainland Egypt - as in Marsa Alam, Hurghada etc., are free of police shooting people.

Still no outright conclusion to the problems here; one advantage for those of us who work here is that tourists have very little alternative if they want to do something whilst they are here. The pyramids and Luxor are off limits, so people are booking DSDs instead, because there's nothing else to do, and it's also cheaper.

I thought the demonstration today might kick off somehow but it hasn't happened. Some of our staff have left or will leave soon as a direct result of the uprising, but me, meh, I've got nowhere else to go and the Sakara is still in plentiful supply.

Great time to dive though - there's nobody else here! :)

Cheers

C.

also - as I understand it - all Egpytian Internet traffic is basically routed through a single point - this makes it very easy to switch off access, because all they had to do is pull the proverbial plug.

Welcome to democracy, have a nice day.

C.

:rofl3:Ya on January,most if ISP connections were not working.But my friend alisa is in egypt.She said to me her internet was still running at that moment.She has a DSL service.How is this possible,DSL worked finely at this moment.Are there other DSL connection that were running good on January end in Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom