Intova 3W LED Dive Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious if this is the same light or a re-badged version of the TUSA 130 lumen wide angle light or vice versa? It seems the look, size, beam, switch, and size are similar enough? The TUSA runs another 30 dollars (around 80) but seems to be the same concept?

N

My guess is they are the same. Although one is badged as 4.7watt and the other 4.8 watt. Although its BS for both. Cree do not make a 4.8 watt LED. In fact I dont think they recommend their LEDs are driven over 3watt ( 700ma).

You could of course run a Cree LED at 4.8watts but it would have a reduced life span and put out a ship load more lumen than 130.

That magnetic switch, JFYI, an old trick is to cut a piece of inner tube, for the TUSA/Intova 130 Lumen light the racer style tube is fine. Cut a piece about one inch wide and slip it over the switch as a switch guard. It is easy to roll it down in the water, put it in your pocket, turn it off and roll the tube back over the switch. Protects the switch also. After dive, roll the tube down and rinse the switch area and leave it uncovered until next dive. This method greatly reduces the chances of turning on accidentally.

N

I've been using the Intova 3W light for over a year. Antonline did sell these for $25 a pop. Now they are at $40, so wholesale costs are likely $15, and they are making close to 200% profit. That -OR- the cost of some component went WAY up, but pricing on most things compared to first quarter 2008 is down, not up.

I've been using mine both topside and UW using the Tenergy rechargeable 900mah batteries. Burn time on those is approx 50 minutes. Full burn, and then.. nothing. For continuous topside use, or as a UW back or even primary for 50 minutes the rechargeable batteries work quite well.

I don't see getting more than two hours burn time on non-rechargeable lithium's. I threw mine out after the light started loosing output after approx 2 hours. I found Tenergy 1300mAh batteries for a buck a shot. That makes it about $1 per dive, but I don't use the non-rechargables unless I am doing a night dive and using this as a primary light.

Unfortunately my HID bulb blew in my primary dive lite.... At $100 a bulb, these lights are looking better all the time! :D

No wonder, over a year ago I bought one of this lights and try removing the head.

I tried freezing, heating, twisting, pulling and everything else I could think of to remove the head. Until eventually.....

I broke it... they must have used very good glue..cause even after heating the head, the plastic magnetic switch melted and the damn thing still wouldn't open.

After that I modded a pelican headlamp.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/215149-cree-dive-headlamp-attempt-2-a.html

I used it for about 20-30 dives and the switch on the Pelican also broke. :-(
Now I am light-less.

And before that I modded a UK Q40 light with a Cree LED
http://forum.scubatoys.com/accessories/3651-torches-cree-emitter.html#post71479

I am glad LED are finally catching up. When I started doing this mods nobody knew what LEDs were. ;-)

Last edited:
It seems that they must have stopped using the glue. I purchased the 4.7 Watt version (new version) at Buy.com. The light was flickering and I had seen the threads about not being able to take this apart so I was going to ship it to Intova for warranty replacement. My boss decided that 'it has to come apart' and twisted on the head of the light and it came off with bare hands. After that, we repaired the loose connection which caused flickering (no solder on one lead) and it is working again. I also know this is the new version because the head has two O-rings and there is no cheesey split ring holding the lanyard on.

I send Intova pictures of the faulty / non-existent solder joint and they have been very attentive. Just asked for the serial # this weekend (perhaps to void the warranty now that I took it apart) :wink:. I responded with the serial number and also asked if the torch would be harmed by using 3.7V rechargable batteries. I can get 3.7V 1300 mAH on eBay cheap and would love to reuse them. Otherwise, it's 'Great Power' batteries from China also from eBay.

Any thoughts on the 3.7V batteries? It adds a total of 1.4V to the input which I wouldn't anticipate causing an issue but don't know.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom