Invite: SE FL Hydro Atlantic 7/30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
SE FL divers: We have a small group of tech divers going out on the Hydro Atlantic on Friday. If you are interested in joining us, PM me for details.

Hydro Atlantic, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Depth: 175 feet.

Recommended training: Full decompression, advanced nitrox and wreck penetration.

One of the most picturesque natural shipwrecks on the East Coast is off Ft. Lauderdale. The Hydro Atlantic was being towed to a salvage yard when she sank in a storm in 175 feet just off Hillsborough Inlet. Close your eyes and imagine a shipwreck--towering masts above a flat deck covered with marine life and circled by large barracuda. Add strong Gulf Stream currents and you've conjured the Hydro Atlantic.

At a depth of 150 feet, penetration divers will find large open areas in the superstructure. A popular penetration route through the vessel starts on the forward side near the center of the vessel, where the interior decks are loaded with marine life seeking a respite from the swift currents.

Dive Report from Scuba Diving Magazine

Some of us will be diving trimix, some will be diving ean24.

If you're deco certified, come join us.

mempilot:
SE FL divers: We have a small group of tech divers going out on the Hydro Atlantic on Friday. If you are interested in joining us, PM me for details.

Recommended training: Full decompression, advanced nitrox and wreck penetration.

One of the most picturesque natural shipwrecks on the East Coast is off Ft. Lauderdale. The Hydro Atlantic was being towed to a salvage yard when she sank in a storm in 175 feet just off Hillsborough Inlet. Close your eyes and imagine a shipwreck--towering masts above a flat deck covered with marine life and circled by large barracuda. Add strong Gulf Stream currents and you've conjured the Hydro Atlantic.

At a depth of 150 feet, penetration divers will find large open areas in the superstructure. A popular penetration route through the vessel starts on the forward side near the center of the vessel, where the interior decks are loaded with marine life seeking a respite from the swift currents.

Would love to join you, but won't be down south till Sept or Oct.

Maybe when I come down can hook up with ya'll

When I go down, its to mother-in-law's place in Lake Worth. Close to Boyntan, and not that far from you.

mempilot:

One of the better wrecks on the East Coast of Florida. Don't miss it if you get the chance to go.

Curt,

I read your article in your magazine on the Hydro. I loved the computer generated pic. Great description. I'd like to get to the engine room, but I need to do a couple of exploratory dives on her first.

There was a 3 knot NW current today and the DM and Cpt tried 3 times to hook up. After failing that way, they tried to snag the wreck with the anchor. After failing at that, they asked if we wanted to drift descent on the wreck. I figured if they couldn't get the DM on it, we might be wasting gas, time, and money. Besides, we were getting a little cooked. I took it as an omen and bagged the dive. They refunded us and we're going to try again next week.

Things were a real gaggle today. First Mempilot and I were the only two that showed up out of the 4 or 5 that were supposed to go. Once we got all our stuff on board we sat and waited for the others to show. Only one other guy showed up and we learned that the three of us would be it. We departed the dock at about 1445 with a 45 minute travel time to the site. We started suiting up as the DM was getting ready to drop in and tie off, which as Mempilot said didn't go exactly as planned. We sat on board nearly ready to go for the next 30 to 40 minutes as the DM and the captian tried to shoot, snag, hook, and catch the wreck in anyway they could, all of which were unsuccessful. It was now around 1630 or so and it was getting late. Add to that the fact that there was a smokin 3 knot current I wasn't unhappy at all that they finally called the dive. We had planned on untieing the line from the wreck and doing a drift deco and with a smokin current like that we would have ended up somewhere around North Carolina when we surfaced. By the time we got back to the dock it was nearly 1700 and the only water I touched was the fresh water shower I used to keep cool while we were sitting on the boat in the hot sun.

Hopefully things will work out better next time.

Doing the Jupiter Star tomorrow. Anyone interested? Same profile. 160' with 25 min BT + deco. We're planing a 'dive bomb', so if we don't see the wreck, it's our own fault!

PadiPro,

The 98's got banded today. The new valve looks sweet. It will get wet tomorrow.

Catch ya all later,

Sure wish I could go with you but I'm going to be spending all day packing and moving. I can't wait until all this is over. I should be ok after the 6th, I close on both places that day, and I need to get these class dives done so we'll plan on getting wet soon after.

Have fun tomorrow and let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom