is 30# wing enough for this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently dive with a 30# Oxycheq Signature Series wing. I'm diving LP95's or HP119's. I would like to move into a set of doubles but $$$ is keeping me from that currently. I do however have a AL80 that I want to sling with a 2nd mix (may not actually use it for now, but want to get the "feel" of having it under my arm).

Do I need a larger wing for this? I also dive dry if that matters.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I would not use the 30 lb wing for doubles. On the average 55 lb wings are the beginning point for doubles.

I don't think the OP is considering adding doubles with the 30# wing, just slinging the 80 (though I could be reading this wrong). Why don't you just add up the component buoyancies of all your gear and see if it exceeds 30#s? That 80 swings close to neutral empty, so keep that in mind.

An AL80 requires another 6# of lift. You are probably only using about 10# of lift max right now for the HP119 at the beginning of the dive when it's full. What kind of drysuit do you use? If it's trilam (or compressed neoprene) then there should be no buoyancy loss at depth or very little with the already compressed neoprene. If it's non-compressed neoprene then you also need to factor in the lift needed to offset the buoyancy loss from the neoprene as it compresses at depth, but 30# of lift may still be enough underwater. On the surface, can your wing handle another 6 lbs of negative buoyancy?

I do dive a trilam suit. I guess I will have to just weight check this in the shallow section of the quarry one day.

I was looking at getting a 2 gas compuer or a 45# wing for Christmas so was wondering on knowing if the 30# was enough. So I would know to either get the New computer or the wing.

I'm not planning on diving "doubles" at present...Only sling the AL80 as possibly a "poor man's doubles" or something.

Jeremy

When I dive my halcyon eclipse single tank 30# wing w/ a steel 120 , I have never had a problem when slinging a 40cf tank.

When diving double AL80s and slinging 2 40cf deco bottles, I use a 40# halcyon explorer w/ no problems at all.

When diving double HP steel 120s or equivalent w/ 2 40cf deco bottles, I move to a 55# halcyon explorer w/ no problems.

I usually dive dry (TLS 350) w/ anywhere from a skin underneath to 200gr undies. I also typically always dive a SS 6# backplate.

JKSteger:
I'm not planning on diving "doubles" at present...Only sling the AL80 as possibly a "poor man's doubles" or something.

Jeremy

You have PLENTY of lift....go for it!

Back
Top Bottom