Is a dive computer necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely you need a DC! After all I bought one :) (but I also bought the shinney mirror and the gum from the stand at the till.

Actually I see two thoughts here. An old guy like myself might think you know your stuff as a DM because you dont need a DC. But then again, my daughter will look at you with shakey confidence as you dont seem to be properly equiped. I would not however, loose confidence if did have one. As a leader (DM) you want to inspire confidence...

There are many ways to do that.

A lot of tech divers use bottom timers and gauges. I don't think I'd necessarily loose confidence in a DM if they only had a bottom timer. Of course I'd be judging a lot of other things as well.

I don't think it's really about inspiring confidence or not. It's a matter of practicality.

There is your answer, a lot of tech divers only use bottom timers and depth guages. So a dive computer is not necessary.

My only caviat is that the agency you do the Divemaster course through might have a requirement that states that all Divemaster candidates shall have a dive computer. I know the PADI standards require all dive professional to have a snorkle, yet the use and need for one as s scuba divers has been greatly contested here on this bullitin board.

...... I am now thinking about getting certified as a divemaster on my next vacation. Do I HAVE TO switch to a dive computer? ......

Do you plan to function as a dive master too (leading other divers) or not?

If you are becoming a dive master mainly for your own personal education, getting a dive computer is .... optional (it could be educational)

If you are becoming a dive master because you want to lead - by example - other divers, getting a dive computer is .... strongly recommended.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks for all of your respoces. Before I posted, I did in fact search for relevant topics. The problem was that no matter how I phrased the search, it came back with 500 diffferent threads, many of which were either VERY long or had titles which were not very helpful. So searching didn't do much for me. And from the number of posts in this thread there were obviously plenty of people whoi had something to say...so thanks for your responces.

I think y'all have convinced me to purchase a DC even though I if only to instill confidence in others. I've used them before on various tripsnad I have several friends with computers, but I never found the need to have one. Until now.

Thanks again.

Now I just gotta pick one out.

Here's what you do.
Get a reasonably priced computer and strap it onto your wrist. Learn how to use it (of course) so if you get asked about it you'll know what to tell them.
Then just continue using your watch and depth gauge like you normally do. Nobody will know the difference.

Here's what you do.
Get a reasonably priced computer and strap it onto your wrist. Learn how to use it (of course) so if you get asked about it you'll know what to tell them.
Then just continue using your watch and depth gauge like you normally do. Nobody will know the difference.

Sounds like a superb idea to me.

Get a dive computer, and use it as a bottom timer/dive log if you prefer tables. DAN can use the data if god forbid there is a need for it.

Most liveaboards and dive resorts that run multi day, multi dive trips require dive computers.

Personally I'd buy a dive computer before I purchased any other dive kit.

I use tables on square profiles like wrecks but doing multilevel diving on reefs or walls without a DC will mean you're losing a lot of useful bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom