Is a Swimthrough an overhead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would smell as sweet!!

:eyebrow:

Just to add a different perspective to this discussion, would any of you certified cave/cavern divers actually breakout your reels and doubles and all the other cave equipment for a swimthrough? Or would you do it the same way as the rest of us and just feel that it's ok for you because your cave trained?

I've been in plenty of swimthroughs and while they are certainly not for everyone, I think that cave training is overkill for a swimthrough.

That said, I'm not cave or cavern certified. I am hoping to take a cavern class later this year.

I definately would not lead anyone I don't know into any sort of cave/cavern/wreck/etc.

TT :wink:

well, the problem is one of liability, as Snowbear says.

a... let's say... "creative lawyer" can really have a field day with liability for
exceeding limits, and will nit-pick to death all actions taken and decisions
made by the DM... all in the worst possible light, you can be sure.

sadly, that's the way a lot of personal injury attorneys operate. not all, of course.

good point twotanks, (and I am cave trained) if you need to break out lines or long hoses, then you shouldnt be there unless you are trained in their use.

No you wouldnt need them swimming under a coral archway, but if two divers could not swim side by side while sharing air to the exit, it is by definition a restriction, and recreational divers shouldnt have a restriction between them and the surface.

Many wrecks fall into this category too.

If there is the potential for silting and loss of direction leading to not being able to find the exit, you shouldnt be there either because its a cave.

I notice that Andy is offering to defend anyone for free anyhow, so if a client sues you, just PM him

cancun mark:
I notice that Andy is offering to defend anyone for free anyhow, so if a client sues you, just PM him

i'll defend you for free plus my usual hourly rate of $250.00!!!!! what
a bargain that is! :wink:

(actually... I work for a public entity, so I am not allowed to accept private work!)

H2Andy:
(actually... I work for a public entity, so I am not allowed to accept private work!)

really? aww thats a shame...i was gonna offer you $350 an hour cos i have lots of money...oh well...guess I'll just close my eyes and hire the first lawyer my finger lands on in the yellow pages.. :fro:

cancun mark:
If there is the potential for silting and loss of direction leading to not being able to find the exit, you shouldnt be there either because its a cave.
In this case, you would have to work pretty dang hard to silt it out.
As for loss of direction, a turn of the head would find the biggest ext... although the most obvious exit could be up to 20' below you.....

I don't think there's a wreck, cave or cavern certified diver on the planet who would run a line in this swimthrough....

MikeFerrara:
there's been a couple of deaths of open water divers in those "OW diver safe" Florida caverns lately too. When these property owners don't have any open water worth diving they tend to dub their cavern as "OW diver safe" so they still have a business.

I'm only familiar with a couple of the springs there...King's Head, Alexander, and Vortex. These were well marked, well blockaded where someone would have to "try" to get into trouble....but anyway.

I saw someone post a PADI answer, but is that out of some policy/standards manual?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom