Is attaching a light to a Goodman handle with zip ties possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

RubenDeb

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Earlier this year I bought a wurkkos dive light (primarily for it's price, or lack there of) and I'd like to mount it to a goodman handle. Is just attaching the light to the handle with just a bunch of zipties doable or should I look for alternative solutions?. The Goodman handle I am looking at has slits, so I thought I would pass my zipties through those. If this method is not optimal what do you recommend ?

Open photo
Open photoNo description available.

Yes, it can be done, and yes, it has been done.

When I first started tech diving and began the slow and painful process of accumulating gear, I started with a 10 W canister light from the company my dive shop foolishly chose as their supplier for tech gear--Salvo. It came with a Goodman handle, and it sat in a cradle attached to the handle. The cradle was worthless. It was supposed to hold it in place by itself, but the light was constantly falling out of it.

So I wrapped 3 zip ties around it, and that worked just fine.

You may want to create something like that cradle by installing two square rods on each side of the light body so that it doesn't rock and roll.

I just saw your pictures. That's a pretty small light, so what I just described might not work. I have a couple of lights like that. They came with soft Goodman handles with velcro flaps to hold the light. You should be able to get something like that cheap.

EDIT: I just Googled soft Goodman handles. You can get them in a range of anywhere from $5 to $70. If you have Amazon Prime you could have one tomorrow. It will work better than a hard Goodman handle with that size light.

Earlier this year I bought a wurkkos dive light (primarily for it's price, or lack there of) and I'd like to mount it to a goodman handle. Is just attaching the light to the handle with just a bunch of zipties doable or should I look for alternative solutions?. The Goodman handle I am looking at has slits, so I thought I would pass my zipties through those. If this method is not optimal what do you recommend ?

Open photo
Open photoNo description available.
I suggest four zip ties, Thread two around the light from the slots on each side and nearest to the light, and two around the light through the next set of slots farther away, so the light is being held with tension comking from two different location on each side. You've also got redundancy iof a tie breaks. Use weather-resistant polypropylene or stainless-Steel ties if you can find them, with SS tabs, rather than cheap plastic ties.

I suggest four zip ties, Thread two around the light from the slots on each side and nearest to the light, and two around the light through the next set of slots farther away, so the light is being held with tension comking from two different location on each side. You've also got redundancy iof a tie breaks. Use weather-resistant polypropylene or stainless-Steel ties if you can find them, with SS tabs, rather than cheap plastic ties.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the stainless steel ties.

Yes, it can be done, and yes, it has been done.

When I first started tech diving and began the slow and painful process of accumulating gear, I started with a 10 W canister light from the company my dive shop foolishly chose as their supplier for tech gear--Salvo. It came with a Goodman handle, and it sat in a cradle attached to the handle. The cradle was worthless. It was supposed to hold it in place by itself, but the light was constantly falling out of it.

So I wrapped 3 zip ties around it, and that worked just fine.

You may want to create something like that cradle by installing two square rods on each side of the light body so that it doesn't rock and roll.
Thanks for the reply. When you say rods do you mean steel rods?

Screenshot_2024-05-20-13-54-49-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
IMG_20240520_135618.jpg

Zip ties like these?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom