Is BCD with 20 lb lift adequate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for about 10 years but am only now finding myself in the market for a new BCD. When I was first certified I was fortunate to have a friend who was upgrading her gear and offered me her old stuff at a great price. A really great price. So I've been diving for ten years with a Zeagle Ranger that was probably close to ten years old when I bought it....but it's now dead and I need a new one. While looking at a size and spec chart on Aqua Lung's website I noticed that the model and size (XXS) I was looking at had only a 20 lb lift capacity. I say "only" because the medium/large in the same model has a 38 lb lift. I've been trying to educate myself on what all goes into the "lift" and am still not sure I get it. I typically do Caribbean diving in just a dive skin or 3/2 shorty and I require 12 lbs of weight. It make sense to me that the BCD I'd considering would be fine for this. But I occasionally do a colder water trip that requires a 7mm suit and over 20 lbs of weight. So might this BCD be inadequate for that? My Zeagle worked great in all circumstances but since it's an "antique" I have no idea of its specs. Can anyone help me make a sound decision?

Last edited:
if you do that, the answer is no. based on that I would seriously consider a bp/w where you can get a backplate of the appropriate length for your back, the harness is infinitely adjustable, and the wing size is not determined by your body size

I've been diving for about 10 years but am only now finding myself in the market for a new BCD. When I was first certified I was fortunate to have a friend who was upgrading her gear and offered me her old stuff at a great price. A really great price. So I've been diving for ten years with a Zeagle Ranger that was probably close to ten years old when I bought it....but it's now dead and I need a new one. While looking at a size and spec chart on Aqua Lung's website I noticed that the model and size (XXS) I was looking at had only a 20 lb lift capacity. I say "only" because the medium/large in the same model has a 38 lb lift. I've been trying to educate myself on what all goes into the "lift" and am still not sure I get it. I typically do Caribbean diving in just a dive skin or 3/2 shorty and I require 12 lbs of weight. It make sense to me that the BCD I'd considering would be fine for this. But I occasionally do a colder water trip that requires a 7mm suit and over 20 lbs of weight. So might this suit be inadequate for that? My Zeagle worked great in all circumstances but since it's an "antique" I have no idea of its specs. Can anyone help me make a sound decision?

Why not get another Ranger or the Ranger Ltd.?

But I occasionally do a colder water trip that requires a 7mm suit and over 20 lbs of weight.

What @tbone1004 said, but what kind of occasional cold water trip? E.g. out local lake clean-up dives are to maybe 7m and at that depth neoprene doesn't compress much. So I'm not losing much buoyancy in the 7mm suit and I don't really need enough lift to offset all of my lead.

Thanks for the input, everyone. The trips I've done where I wore a 7 mil were Galapagos and the Socorro Islands (went to 90-100' routinely). We plan to do Cocos Island in the next two years. I'm guessing that would need the same.

I'm gonna have to educate myself on bp/w. To be honest, I'd never heard the term till today... I have a trip coming up very soon. Maybe I'll hold off on purchasing anything and rent on that trip while I do more research. Thanks for the advice.

Same parts as your ranger only not sewn together: aircell, webbing, and a plate that everything hangs off of come as separate pieces.

The general guideline for lift capacity of a BCD is to have 10 more pounds of lift than the amount of weight you are using. As an example, you use 12 pounds, then it is recommended you a bcd that has 22 pounds of lift; a 2 pound difference for the tropics should be fine, as in your case.

The issue with extra small BCDs in cold water is they are not large enough to have much lift capacity. I've seen an extra small BCD sink while fully inflated. At the surface, people have to gently kick to keep their face above the water with a fully inflated extra small BCD.

I too encourage a bp/w, however, I do understand it isn't for everyone. If you can, try it out and do so with someone who is familiar with a bp/w. Be aware of those who know nothing about it and try to tell you it is for tech only or it will shove you face forward or any other story to try and dissuade you from trying it out, simply because they do not know how to use it. There are lots of advantages with a bp/w.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom