Is Blue Hole dive worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked this question years ago. A wise diver replied: "No, it's not worth it. But you will do it anyway, and when someone asks you whether it's worth it, you will wisely tell them no, it's not worth it."

In the 90s I stayed on Calabash Caye - the one just South of Brackbird - twice for 2 months of diving each time . You can see Half-moon Caye (where the Blue hole is) out to the East.

Didn't bother with the B'hole. but dived the other sites.

I was fortunate enough to have dived the B'hole in 1979 when we weekended on Half-moon Caye finishing a two week adventure training stint with the British army. Even then I decided not to bother doing it a second time, and I haven't.

I dived the blue hole last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, the two turneffe atoll dives that followed it were even better, but the blue hole was a unique experience.

I am traveling to Belize soon to dive around Turneffe Atoll area (staying on Blackbird Caye). One of the dives offered is to the infamous Blue Hole. Its about a 2 hour boat ride and costs $240 per person to go. I'd like opinions from those who've done the dive as to whether its worth the money.
Thanks!
NO! Just got back from doing a live-aboard and we did the Blue Hole. Total dive time was 27 minutes......8 minutes of bottom time and the rest spent going down to 130ft. and three safety stops on the way up. We did see the shadow image of a couple sharks bellow us.....unique but would not do again. Stalagtites were okay, but give me marine life and beautiful reefs! Good Luck in Belize! The other live-aboard in the area opted not to do the Blue Hole by a vote of the divers on-board.

I love the Blue Hole dive day and have done it many times. Yes, the BH dive is a short deep dive but I still love it. But then I appreciate the geologic history and the majesty. Like others have said, I wouldn't go just to do the 30 minute dive (8 at depth), but the whole day trip soothes my soul. My dive crew is awesome too and there's never been an experience such as that set out in the thread referring to "business as usual".

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2013 at 03:56 PM ----------

If I were on a liveaboard and wanted to do 5 hour-long dives that day, I'd be in the camp of those not doing the dive.

When I first started diving regularly in Belize, oh so many years ago, a fellow diver from home discouraged me from bothering. Eventually, I decided to see for myself what was what and have been slightly resentful of my fellow divers discouragement ever since. one really has to make that determination for oneself. "meh" to one diver is "oh ah" to another.

Just in the past 8 months alone, I've been in the Blue Hole 3 times. Every time, everyone of the divers on our boat were gushing about it. Last month my friend and dive buddy, was more excited than anyone (her first time). She regretted not having more time at depth and like me can't wait to go again.

Last edited:
We did the BH because we were there, a side trip for a week from a long trip to Cozumel. We didn't see anything special even on our other dives that would make me want to go back. I found the people delightful, the island fun to visit. But it is a long, long day on a big, big boat with a crowd of strangers....

The divers on your Coz boats weren't strangers? The majority of times I head out to the GBH, I don't even have a buddy with me. Yes I know the crew but by the time most of the day is gone I've become acquainted with quite a few of the other divers. I particularly enjoy this aspect.

In my opinion, yes, it worth going to - once. We went from Blackbird Caye several years ago and yes it is a been there done that dive but I am glad we did it. I am very glad that we stopped at Lighthouse Atoll on the way back for two more dives. Those two dives were some of the best ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom