Is Boracay Just Okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,

My brother-in-law's family is from the Philippines. Specifically, they own a resort and dive shop on Boracay. I am working on getting the name. I just learned that he and his family are planning a trip there for this December and he has invited me to join them. That started me researching Boracay, knowing absolutely nothing about it. I have certainly read mixed opinions. Some of the comments here on our forum have been pretty brutal, but they are from before the island closed down for what sounds like very necessary infrastructure upgrades in 2018.

Is it a worthy destination for the distance involved? I live in New England, and it will be a trek and a half to get there. Though I am sure we will be treated very well by his family once we are there, the reviews of the island make me wonder if it is worth it when compared to other diving destinations.

How is diving the present day Boracay? Would any of you travel from the US just to go there, forsaking other diving locations? If so, why?

Thank you very much.

Patrick Star

Christmas is the worst time to travel in the country. Air fare is high and so is the demand.
There are a lot of others places to go diving unfortunately Boracay is rather isolated.
I have not visited the island for a very long time because diving there was really ordinary. Yapa II was good.
The famous Long Beach is nice if you like to get roasted. Other than that I cannot think of any reason to go there. But having a family there is another story.

Boracay is the top beach and top tourist destination in the country. @Centrals hit the nail on the head stating that the diving is "ordinary!" Although I am not sure I would not even give it that good of a rating! It is very fished out and has limited coral structure.

I had been there prior to the clean-up and just got back from a 3 day trip just 4 weeks ago. This last trip was just to hang out on the beach for a few days for a change of scenery. I did not dive as based on my past experiences, I did not want to spend the money. If you are into the tourist beach scene, then it is good. White Beach is really beautiful and pretty chill. 3 days is more then enough for me. Personally, I would not travel all the way from the US to just go to Boracay for diving. If you made it part of a multi-destination trip in the Philippines or Asia in general, maybe, but not just by itself.

As @Centrals also stated, December is the worst time of year to travel to and within the Philippines.

IMG_7067.jpeg

Thank you very much for your frank feedback.

Boracay is a good destination for a vacation with some diving but not a good one for a diving vacation. If you go all the way there, spend a week diving elsewhere.​

Hello All,

My brother-in-law's family is from the Philippines. Specifically, they own a resort and dive shop on Boracay. I am working on getting the name. I just learned that he and his family are planning a trip there for this December and he has invited me to join them. That started me researching Boracay, knowing absolutely nothing about it. I have certainly read mixed opinions. Some of the comments here on our forum have been pretty brutal, but they are from before the island closed down for what sounds like very necessary infrastructure upgrades in 2018.

Is it a worthy destination for the distance involved? I live in New England, and it will be a trek and a half to get there. Though I am sure we will be treated very well by his family once we are there, the reviews of the island make me wonder if it is worth it when compared to other diving destinations.

How is diving the present day Boracay? Would any of you travel from the US just to go there, forsaking other diving locations? If so, why?

Thank you very much.

Patrick Star
You can contact me on my WhatsApp +639382364192 I am working at fisheye divers Boracay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom