Is Diving in Baja Sea of Cortex or the Revillagigedos Isles worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just return last week. If you want high voltage diving, then GO!

I was with the Rocio del Mar. Excellent crew. Great time.

But be ready for an adventure.

Diving with Mantas, dolphins and sharks. Humpbacks showing their stuff on the surface.

However, it is not Disney Land. More like a box of chocolates!

I am a Galapagos vet. It is similar, but easier and less expensive to get to.

If you go, be ready.

PM me for more info.

I'm about to go to the Galapagos so I'll see how they compare...but have been to the Socorro's twice and I can't imagine Galapagos is much better...and Socorros are much closer and half the price. I've been twice, both times on Sea Escape...schooling hammerheads many dives, lots of dives with dolphins, only time I've dove with a whale shark, huge, friendly mantas and many other types of sharks. Sea Escape is one of the more reasonably priced boats..comfortable rooms but nothing fancy, good food and crew.

This is a bit off-topic; anyone know what the water temp should be in mid-May at Socorros?

Is there a best time of year for this trip?

Saw this thread again after now just returning from the Galapagos after having been to the Socorros twice before. Actually, I found the Socorro's superior...and of course far closer and less than half the price. Some of the differences were many dives with dolphins..probably 7 or so both trips to the Socorros vs 0 on the Galapagos trip, incredible multiple encounters with giant mantas in the Socorro's vs 0 in the Galapagos (although more variety of rays overall seen in Galapagos), hammerheads maybe slightly greater numbers in Galapagos, but overall number of total sharks from more species far greater in the Socorro's (and remains the only place I've dove with a whale shark). Galapagos did have lots of turtles where I've never seen one in the Socorros. I'd say visibility overall better in the Socorro's and water temperatures far more moderate...have had water temps nearing 80 degrees as late as January one time. Although I've only been to the Galapagos once vs Socorro's twice, I really consider Galapagos overhyped as a dive destination, especially at the prices that are charged...has to be the highest priced destination in the world for trips of just 16-17 dives. Definitely go to the Socorro's, you won't be disappointed.

Well, if I saw orcas, mola molas, thousands of hammerheads, etc. I would indeed be wowed and would have no problem paying Galapagos prices. And it's true my trip was not in high season. And now that I've been, I also have little doubt that someone diving in high season would have to have had at least a better experience that I did. However, I'm sticking firmly with recommending the Socorro's over the Galapagos (I've yet to get to the Cocos or Malpelo), as you'll get a good portion of the idealized experience you describe at as much as a third of the cost of the overall cost of a trip to the Galapagos. The chances of a consistently good trip I believe would be much greater in the Socorro's where there is not such a radical difference in the quality of diving seasons as there apparently is in the Galapagos. I'll give you that Galapagos topside is beautiful and absolutely worth exploring, however being on a LOB you can't go on land, so except for a halfday when the trip ends, a person will need to give themselves more time in their holiday to go explore on their own. I'm no big fan of Cabo San Lucas where the Socorros boats leave from, but some divers might like to take a day or two to relax in a resort environment before or after a dive trip.

The overhyped label from my experience still applies in my mind, especially considering the incredibly high cost and comparable expense and difficulty getting there vs. doing the same thing in the Socorros. It's just my opinion, but one that comes from doing 20 or so liveaboards and diving in nearly 25 countries. If I were independently wealthy and could afford to go again, maybe I'd try February to see if it's as you've described, but for my money and recommendations to friends, I'd say go to the Socorros, hands down.

Having been to the Galapagos during High Season, and while you could still do land tours, I had a blast. Was it expensive? Heck yeah, and considering I took a non-diver on a liveaboard it was even more painful. I too was disappointed in the diving- there was a 3 week period including our week when the conditions were not the best, viz was down, as were the visits from the schools of hammerheads, and an absence of whale sharks- both of those a big reason I wanted to go. But it isn't an aquarium and you are still subject to Mother nature's whim, and was still a visit to one of the few unspoiled areas of the earth. I got to dive with a freaking penguin and was within inches of Hammerheads and Galapagos sharks for god's sake (see profile pic)! I do not regret the visit, and am glad I didn't wait longer to when the land tour issues took effect.

Now, if Ecuador will start enforcing the fishing regulations and catching the shark poachers, maybe those numbers will come back up, and it will return to the mecca of big animals it once was.

I guess my point couldn't be made more succinctly than I did to a friend upon my return. I posed the question to her that if one was going to pay in excess of $7000 per person (LOB, Intl flight, Flight mainland Ecuador to Galapagos, fuel surcharges, natl park fee, etc) for just 16 or 17 dives, what would one have to see to make that worth it? The original string was is the Socorros worth it...for around $3000 you'll still get to see one of the few unspoiled places left on earth, and a more consistent experience that's apparently not nearly as seasonal as the Galapagos. $ is better spent on the Socorros in my opinion.

Is there a best time of year for this trip?

Every season offers unque marine life, but if you like warmer water - 1st week of Nov.

No whales, but a greater chance for whale sharks.

Back
Top Bottom