Is it just me? Or is Roatan really that underwhelming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never use the Cruise ship Dive Op's for starters. I always book my own Dive Op based on recommendations found here on SB. Some Caribbean destinations I've found better than others but a single day of diving is a poor way of gauging the quality. Roatan has nice reef structure (lots of sea fans, crevices etc.) but fish life not so abundant on our couple dives. I've yet to run across a spot that has more fish than Pennekamp in Key Largo (huge schools of snapper just about everywhere). On the flip side, places like Grand Turk, Cozumel and Roatan have nicer geography. Of course this is based off of brief dive times at each location (excluding Key Largo) so YMMV.

I found Roatan nice but I liked Cozumel more. My wife on the other hand loved Roatan. Go figure.

You need to get there & put your boots on the ground for a week or so.........Roatan will kick CZM's butt-tox, when it comes to diving..........

You need to get there & put your boots on the ground for a week or so.........Roatan will kick CZM's butt-tox, when it comes to diving..........
The diving may very well be better at Roatan but the town and food at Cozumel is hard to beat. :eat:

I have been to Roatan 3 times. I would return. I didn't find a lack of much while I was there. Plenty to see underwater, I admit I am not terribly experienced diver. I enjoyed the trips, it beats anything close to where I live.

The same can be said for Cozumel. The diving is just different, I like both places.

I would not hesitate to go back to either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom