Is it ok to reuse regulator parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do understand that idea. They are dirt cheap. Still, I don't practice that and I doubt if most techs do ...

One of the longer posts by awap.

WhiteSands: Listen to awap & company and you'll be in good shape. The same attitude toward replacing parts is also reflected in the later parts of Harlow's reg servicing book.

The related question, how frequently should one open up a reg to clean/service, is a more tricky one. Despite what some say, HP seats are not easy to get. In my limited experience, not replacing one has invariably led to IP creep. Following herman's recommendations may be a good approach.

Lastly, the real tricky question (for me) is 1st stages used with deco bottles. Deposits build up which don't affect regulator function but with 100% O2 in the deco cylinder, combustion, in principle, may become more likely. Since we don't hear about tec divers blowing up on a regular basis, my sense is that the danger is exaggerated. However, I'm conservative, so plan on O2 cleaning my two deco regs once a year. And use 50% O2 when the additional off-gasing benefit of 100% is marginal.

Awap

I do agree with many of your points. You and I are not far off. If you don't want to "remove" an o ring, in a lot of cases they can be inspected in place. Not subjecting them to probably the harshest treatment they will receive, which is removal and re installation.

I understand the standard manufacturers answer of only certified tech can get parts. I don't always like it as a consumer, but then I see what some people do when they shouldn't. Regs are not complicated machines, but they can be screwed up easily.

Yes, if I had a reg failure it would simply be a shutdown post and a switch to a secondary.

Back
Top Bottom