Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to check with the airline you are using, we've encountered something a bit different with United. They require that the checked bag/s be under #50 (I think), regardless if you were paying the excess baggage charge or not. And it seems that all these charges are very dynamic at the moment, so it is best to check with the carrier first. Also we've discovered that our bags at 10~15 lbs empty are real weight-hogs. Another thing we discovered, but you can't depend on it, is tipping the Porter rather well, he grabs your bags and off they go... ours were within ten pounds of the limit, a little extra vigorish and off they went!

The bag weight is a big deal - you can get 62" ttl bags for less than 9 lbs. On eBags they have the bag weight in the description.

Be sure to read your airline's baggage info. We just went to Cabo on American Airlines - there's NO BAG FEE in coach if you are going INTERNATIONAL. Each airline is different now. It is a consideration when you buying tickets. Now you have to add in what bag charges will be when comparing airfares.

Also, just about every airline will waive bag fees if you are an elite-type member. (Usually one million miles.) Sounds like a lot, but it in with charge cards and flying, you'd be surprised how fast you can get to that number.

And consider business and/or first class - then there's no bag fees. There's some real deals out there, especially if you are military. For example, my last trip to Roatan was only $150 RT more to go first class.

Overall, I think this bag fees thing is crazy. First everyone said, the heck with it, I can't take any liquids, so I'll check bags. Since I'm checking bags, I'll pack whatever I want. Cost the airlines a ton. So they start charging for bags. Now people are trying to go back carry ons...

Not sure if to be proud or ashamed of this...I went on my trip with my Oceanic AT 4 as carry on and fins in plastic bag in a United flight with no major problems. In my carry on I had the following:
bc
reg
7 mm suit
hooded vest
mini flashlight
underwater camera case
mask and snorkel
five t-shirts
swimsuit
palm with craddle and charger (bad idea)
cellphone charger
basic toiletry

The only issue is that at one point I had to take stuff out because the bag was too fat to fit in the overhead compartment, I put stuff in my jacket's zippered pockets.

Next time I do a cold water trip I am checking a bag, however, I now am sure I can easily do a warm water trip with a carry on.

Plus, the fins were a conversation starter and I had never had such an easy time with TSA when just taking my reg as carry on as in these flights. Apparently the regulator by itself will give you more hassle than if they see you have all your diving equipment with you, which kind of makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom